Ethiopian Berbere Chickpea Pizza Recipe with Tahini Garlic Dressing. Amazingly flavorful pizza. Dress with tahini dressing, vegan ranch or other creamy dressing. Vegan Soyfree Nut-free Recipe. Gluten-free Crust option. Jump to Recipe
Do we need more chickpeas on pizza recipes, yes of course! This pizza is more like a flatbread with an olive oil glaze, tomatoes and onions, a generous layer of chickpeas tossed in Ethiopian berbere spice blend. Once baked, it is finished with a tahini dressing, or other creamy dressing or use lemon juice.
The crust is my 20 minute crust. It is a simple crust where the flour, water, yeast is mixed up to a loosely formed soft dough, no kneading necessary. Let it sit for 5-10 mins, shape, add layers. See Crust video on this post. For the pictured crust, Iused half whole wheat and half white flour.
I work in parallel for the pizza so the crust sitting close to the heating oven gets plenty rise time while I prep the layers and add them. The chickpeas are tossed with berbere spice, salt, garlic. The veggies sliced thin. The dressing can be made from scratch or use vegan mozzarella shreds or vegan ranch. Bake and done. For variations, use other beans or lentils or a mix of chickpeas and veggies such as zucchini, mushrooms, or partially cooked cauliflower.
Berbere ideally is a paste made by simmering the whole spices with onion and garlic, then blended and used. I use a dry spice mix for this recipe (see from scratch recipe below). Use premade berbere or use other spice blends like Shawarma or Garam masala as both pair well with creamy tahini based dressing. You can easily make this baked on a large tortilla for a tortilla pizza or roll up into a wrap. Cook the spiced chickpeas on stove top or bake until crisp and use with veggies, lettuce, tahini dressing.
Make this and let me know in the comments how it turned out! I love hearing from you. Do post pictures and tag me on instagram or post on my facebook page.
More pizzas from the blog
- Simple Veggie Pizza with 20 minute Crust with garlicky olive oil and no cheese.
- Pizza with chipotle red lentil tomato sauce and vegan ricotta , this pizza sauce also is amazing as pasta sauce
- Sriracha BBQ Tofu Pizza with almond milk pepperjack because Sriracha!
- Deep dish Black eyed pea Pizza
- Buffalo Chickpea Pizza with celery ranch dressing. Looks time intensive but really isnt.
My first book has close to a 100 pictures for 150 recipes (after a lot of back and forth with Publisher for wanting more). You can find the rest of the photos here. All the recipes that dont have photos, covered on this post!
Back to this pizza. Shape the dough. Brush olive oil.
Layer tomatoes, bebere spiced chickpeas
Add onions, some of the tahini dressing.
Garnish with cilantro and more tahini dressing or other creamy dressing. Slice and Serve. This is a strong flavored pizza, which you an taste test as you go before baking. Adjust the spices in the chickpeas before spreading and baking.
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 to 1.5 tsp paprika I use a combination of sweet and smoky
- 1/3 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek seed powder or ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/3 tsp cardamom
- a generous pinch of clove powder ginger powder, all spice, cinnamon and cayenne
- 1 recipe Easy Pizza Crust
- 15 oz can Chickpeas washed and drained or about 1.5 cups cooked
- 1/4 tsp 1/2 tsp salt depending on if the chickpeas were salted
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oil
- Sliced tomatoes
- Sliced onion
- 1 recipe Tahini garlic dressing
- Or my Tahini dill sauce
- cilantro or parsley
- Mix the berbere spice mix really well. Preferably also add 1/8 tsp ground ajwain(carom seeds) and ground kalongi (nigella seeds). I know lots of spices :).
- Add garlic, onion, salt and olive oil to the chickpeas and toss well to coat. set aside. Make the tahini sauce, thin it out to preference.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F / 220ºc. Shape the pizza crust. Spread the crust to about 14 inch size to make a thin crust large pizza. Brush with olive oil. Place sliced tomatoes on top. Add the spiced chickpeas in a single layer. (You can also add some greens or pepper as toppings).
- Place sliced onions on top. Drizzle some of the tahini garlic sauce. Bake for 18 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley. Drizzle some more tahini sauce, slice and serve. You can also use vegan ranch, vegan mozzarella (add before baking) or other creamy dressing or just lemon juice to dress.
You can easily make this baked on a large tortilla for a tortilla pizza or roll up into a wrap. Cook the spiced chickpeas on stove top or bake until crisp and use with veggies, lettuce, tahini dressing.
Nutritional values based on one serving