Gingerbread bread. Full of warming spices with cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and cloves. Great toasted with tea or coffee. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
GingerBread cookies or GingerBread Bread 🙂 I made the bread! The bread had a tad more water than required and I was feeling lazy to add more flour and keep it for another rise.. so it deflated a bit. But a bread is a bread! a bit denser but still a bread!
- 1 cup (125 g) bread flour
- 3-4 cups (360 g) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons oil or vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) ground nutmeg
- pinch of clove powder
- pinch of cardamom powder
- 2 teaspoons active yeast
- Warm half a cup of water and add sugar and yeast to it. Mix well
- Let it sit for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- In a blender, blend the ginger with a little water, spices and molasses and keep aside.
- In a greased mixing bowl, add the flours, salt and mix well.
- Add the oil, yeast mixture, ginger mixture and and knead for 8-10 minutes. ( if using stand mixer, 3-4 minute batches with intermittent scraping)
- Add more water if needed.
- Place dough in a well greased container, covered in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Lightly punch the dough and using a little flour knead and shape into a loaf by pulling on all sides and tucking under.
- Place loaf in well oiled bread pan and cover with damp towel. Let rise for an hour.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 40 minutes.
- Cool completely before slicing!
- Total time does not include 3 hours proving time
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving