Farfalle with Swiss Chard Pesto is a quick and easy weeknight meal that can be prepared ahead of time. A vegan recipe that can be made gluten freeJump to Recipe
Another quick weeknight meal or lunch. Both the pasta and the pesto can be prepared ahead of time and kept. Warm, assemble, refresh with some pepper, cashew or dried basil and serve. Swiss chard gives the pesto a bright green color and it stays that way even when refrigerated. Use glutenfree pasta for a gf meal.
Farfalle with Swiss Chard Pesto
- 1.5-2 cups (90 g) farfalle cooked al-dente with salt (or any pasta of choice. Use gf pasta for gf)
- 5 (5 ) big Swiss chard leaves and soft ribs
- 4 cloves (4 cloves) of garlic
- 1 teaspoon (1 teaspoon) olive oil or organic canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) chili flakes or black pepper
- 1/2 cup (12 g) packed basil or use 2 Tablespoons basil pesto
- 1/4 cup (32.25 g) raw cashews
- 1-2 Tablespoons (1 Tablespoons) Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water coz my blender needs some water to blend well. and hence made about 1 cup of pesto
- Heat olive oil/canola in a pan on low-medium heat, add garlic and chopped Swiss chard. Cook covered on low for 4-6 minutes or until the chard just about starts to wilt.
- Blend with basil, pepper, Extra virgin olive oil cashews and a little water if needed. The pesto can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, without any change in color.
- Cook pasta, and serve topped with the pesto.
- Garnish with some powdered Raw cashew mixed with nutritional yeast and pepper flakes.
We had some leftover pesto, so I roasted some large Turnip slices with salt and a little oil the next day, added some fresh chopped tomatoes to the pesto, and topped the Turnip slices with it for a delicious snack!