Chaat is a generic term for Indian snacks which have some crackers or fried noodles or puffed rice mixed with beans/lentil/chickpea sprouts or cooked beans tossed with onions, tomatoes, different chutneys usually tamarind date chutney and cilantro chutney.
When I made these Canapes and took a bite, I was like.. I know this flavor combination. The canape reminded me of tamarind date chutney chaat with potatoes and sprouts.
The sour and sweet and smoky and spicy all together. So I looked at the ingredients and saw something in the Worcestershire sauce, and dude that has tamarind in it! When the bbq sauce thickens, it has an under flavor which comes out with the onions tomatoes and cilantro. The flavor that I grew up eating:) Huzzah!
The Barbecue sauce is also made from scratch. Edit it to your taste preference. It tastes best when heated.
Barbecue sauce with the red onion and cilantro and crunchy Mung bean sprouts are probably the best way to eat them sprouts. Plus the added roasted sweet potato takes these to a whole new level. I mean you really need to make some. Use any of your favorite BBQ sauces and whip it up like now.
No bread, so no grain as well.
Use other sprouted beans/peas like sprouted chickpeas, black eyes peas or brown lentils! Or use cooked beans/lentils.
Make peeps eat some sprouts.
You know what else you can make with this bbq sauce… This Veggie BBQ burger.. It looks like a breaded fried burger, but it is all baked with no added oil and uber delicious! Pink Lentils simmered in BBQ sauce, then mixed with roasted veggies and more bbq sauce, sesame seeds. Topped with ripe mango carrot slaw. Yum!
How many people can spell Worcestershire at the first go.. I cannot. I am copying and pasting the word:)
Health Benefits of Mung Bean Sprouts:
- Lecithin: Lowers blood cholesterol levels, reduces liver fat.
- Zinc: Along with the protein and other vitamins in mung beans, Zinc can help strengthen your nails.
- Phytoestrogens: Contain many anti-aging components for the skin. These phytoestrogens act on estrogen-receptors found in the skin, stimulating the synthesis of hyaluronic acid, collagen and elastin, which are all essential components of the skin’s structure.
Mung bean sprouts are also a good source of vitamin A, many B vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, vitamin K, folic acid, iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium, zinc and more!… from 10 Protein Packed plants article.
Sweet Potato Canapes with BBQ Mung Bean Sprouts
Sweet Smoky BBQ sauce: Makes about 1 cup
- 1/4 cup (80.5 g) Maple syrup
- 3-4 Tablespoons (3 Tablespoons) Tomato ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon black strap molasses
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) lime juice
- 1-2 teaspoon (1 to 2 teaspoon) liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce or use 1/4 teaspoon tamarind paste and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Use coconut aminos for Soy-free
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon (0.25 to 0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon (0.25 to 0.5 teaspoon) Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) each of mustard garlic powder, ginger powder, onion powder
- a generous dash of cumin powder black pepper and cayenne
- Add a tablespoon of cornstarch or arrowroot starch if you want the sauce to thicken considerably when heated.
- Add a Tablespoon ground raw sugar if you like it sweeter.
- 2-3 (2 to 3 ) Yams or Sweet Potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1-2 Tablespoons (1 to 2 Tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (104 g) Mung bean sprouts
- Red onion finely chopped
- Fresh Cilantro finely chopped
Smoky Sweet BBQ Sauce
- Mix all the ingredients. Taste and adjust and add salt, spices more or less.
- Add cornstarch and mix well and refrigerate.
- The taste will get deeper after everything sits for a while. The sauces and spices can be readjusted.
- Sprout the Mung beans. Here is a handy sprouting guide. The pictures ones have been sprouting for 2.5 days. I soak them overnight, then drain, rinse and place in a bowl covered with wet towel and a lid. Drin, rinse every 6-8 hours.
- Wash the sprouts and mix favorite barbecue sauce and keep ready.
- Add 2-3 Tablespoons sauce for every cup of sprouts.
- Wash, peel and slice Sweet potatoes.
- Brush both side with olive oil and roast at 400 degrees F / 200ºc for 18-20 minutes, depends on the thickness of the slice.
- Remove the baking tray and top the sweet potato slices with a good amount of saucy Sprouts.
- Bake for another 2-3 minutes. This will set the sauce and the topping will not slide around.
- Top with chopped red onion and cilantro.
- Eat/Serve. Try to keep some for the guests.
Use other beans/chickpeas sprouted or cooked.
Add crushed peanuts or sev(chickpea noodles), coconut flakes, chopped up Jalapeno.
If you are in a hurry, roast cubed sweet potatoes. Add in the sprouts, bbq sauce, onions cilantro when still hot. Mix well and serve as a Salad. Nutritional values based on one serving
Healthy delicious goodness! 🙂
Click here to start from the beginning of the Potluck.
Go Forward to the next Blog in the Potluck. Click below.
Go Back to the Previous blog in the Potluck line up. Click below.