They sound like Crispy Potato Croquettes with a bean based sauce, dont they :).
My Dad prefers flavors that he knows. Some years back, it was next to impossible to get him to try something outside Indian food. He has since become just a bit more adventurous. So when Mom said we make some Aloo Tikki for early dinner, I suggested we add Quinoa to it. Mom was like, yes, add anything to the patty within certain limits, he wont know:). We kept the rest of the Tikki exactly like mom always makes it. You can use any of the spices you have or just add garam masala/curry powder or other spice blends instead of individual spices.
The patties can be easily made gluten-free by omitting the bread slice or substituting it with ground Oats.
Serve the patties as is, with sauce of choice like ketchup, Sriracha or BBQ.
Or with some hot chickpea curry, chopped onion and cilantro. You can also make burgers with the patties. Serve topped with sliced onion, tomato, greens, cilantro chutney, tamarind chutney or other sauces of choice. It was difficult taking pictures with the aroma of fresh hot Tikkis and Chole in the entire house.
More Indian inspired Savory Snacks here.
Mash the potatoes. Add cooked Quinoa, onion, chili, ginger, cilantro, spices and crushed bread slice.
Mix well and shape into patties. Pan roast with a little oil until golden on both sides.
Potato Quinoa Patties with Chickpea curry. Tikki Chole. Vegan Recipe
Potato Quinoa Patties/Tikki: Makes 11-12 patties
- 3 medium potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1 cups (185 g) cooked Quinoa
- 1/3 (0.33 ) medium onion red or white finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (8 g) chopped cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) carom seeds Ajwain, or use cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) kala namak black salt
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1 slice of stale bread crumbled (omit to make gluten-free or use coarsely ground Oats)
- 1 Recipe chickpea curry or Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
- Chopped Onion
- Chopped Cilantro
- Top with Tamarind Date Chutney or BBQ sauce
- Top with chopped cucumber
- Use spice blends like garam masala, berbere, cajun spice in the patties
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes well.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well.
- Shape into patties and pan fry them with a little oil on medium heat until both sides are golden and crisp.
- Patties can be served as is with sauce of choice like ketchup, Sriracha or BBQ.
- To serve Tikki chole, ladle some chickpea curry below or on top of the patties.
- Top them with chopped onion and cilantro.
- For variation, top with Tamarind date chutney or a little Barbecue sauce.
You can also use wheat flour or chickpea flour instead of bread to help balance the moisture in the patty mixture. Mash and mix the ingredients well and make tight patties so they dont break while flipping.
You can use Sweet Potatoes instead of potatoes. The patties will need bread crumbs to balance the extra moisture and will need to be baked, if using sweet potatoes. Nutritional values based on one serving