Lets start up today with this One pot meal. Chickpeas, quinoa, lentils, everything cooked together in a spinach puree, so you know you cannot take those green leaves out even if you wanted to. Serve as is, with crackers or bread. Top with Sriracha, peppers or cheese. Its just about 10 minutes of work in the kitchen, add to a pan, cooked and ready to serve in 25 mins! All of your protein in one bowl.
I have been bogged down with everything lately. I keep developing recipes all through the week and don’t get time to write them down properly. And whoever said writing a book was going to be all fun. Book proposals, the pre and post ambles, knowing exactly and being able to put into words, why writing one and what it is about. Yes, I am definitely not much of an organize your thoughts and put them on paper kind of writer 🙂 Oh well, we will learn on the job. All good things come with some extra work!
Make Chickpea Lentil Quinoa Spinach Stew!
More one pot meals
Lentil Kidney Bean chili topped with jalapenos and corn
Pumpkin black Eyed Pea Chili
Cremini Mushroom, Rainbow Chard, Shallots, Mac soup
Dahls that be served up with rice or grains
Cook the onions until translucent. blend the Spinach and tomato. Add spiced to the pan and mix, add spinach puree , chickpeas, quinoa, lentils and water. cover and cook
Add cashews for garnish. Serve hot.
Love this recipe! Get my cookbook, Now Available Internationally!!
- 1/4 cup red lentils masoor dal
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 15 oz can chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked chickpeas. safed chana
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 cup red onion finely chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 mild green chili finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 cups packed of spinach add more for greener soup
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch ginger knob
- 1/4 tsp black peppercorns or add black pepper later
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp raw sugar or other sweetener
- 2 Tbsp cashews chopped (omit for nut-free)
- pepper flakes lemon juice, cashews, cheese shreds for garnish
- Wash and drain the lentils and quinoa and keep ready. Drain the chickpeas and keep ready.
- In a pan, add oil and onions and green chili and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Saute in broth to eliminate oil.
- Add the spices and mix well and cook for a minute.
- Meanwhile, blend the tomato, spinach, garlic, ginger, peppercorns with 1/2 cup water into a smooth puree.
- Add to the pan and mix well. Add the lentils, quinoa and chickpeas and mix.
- Add salt, sugar and 1.5 cups water and cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir once in between. Add cashew pieces and mix in, taste and adjust salt and spice. Add water if needed for soupier consistency. Cook for a few minutes.
- Serve hot topped with red pepper flakes, cheese shreds of choice or cashew cream, crackers, flat bread or rolls.
Variations: Add a 1/4 cup almond or coconut milk for creamier soup. Add veggies like cauliflower, sweet potato etc. Add a tsp or more nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor. Change up the spice blends. Change it up to personal preference. Don't have lentils, omit them. Don't have quinoa, use millet, couscous or rice.
To make this in Instant Pot / pressure cooker: Follow Steps 1 to 5 in the Instant Pot on Saute. Add salt, sugar, water and mix in. Pressure Cook /Manual 2 minutes and natural release.
Nutrition is Approx value for 1 of 3 Serves.