I told you. This year is going to be chocolatey. Be ready for a Chocolate Coma. This insanely delicious and decadent Triple Layer Chocolate Mousse Cake or Pie has a chocolate oat almond crust, a dark chocolate mousse layer and a lighter chocolate mousse layer. Top it with vanilla ice cream for the best ever dessert.
The entire cake has 7 oz of cocoa/cacao butter which is what keeps the mousse solid enough to not be liquid. The chocolate I used is Theo’s dark chocolate which also uses cocoa butter and no other random oils. So There is no palm oil in this huge cake! I used a bit of tofu to add volume, which can be easily replaced by very thick cashew cream. The 7 oz Cocoa butter is enough to set the mousse layers. If you do not want to eat anything other than mousse, skip the crust and make 2 layers mousse cake.
Death by Chocolate Mousse!
You can use a baked chocolate cake/torte like this one, as the bottom layer instead of the Oat almond layer. That will be an even taller mousse cake. This is quite a decadent dessert and can easily serve a party of 10 to 12.
Now if you will excuse me, I need to finish off this piece before the Ice cream melts.
One day, some weeks ago, I was craving some chocolate. Most of the options in stores or restaurants use a good amount of shortening/butter that is palm oil based and it always bugs me to consume that much palm oil, sustainable or not. So I was looking in my pantry and happened upon my stash of cocoa butter (I had 3 containers that I got early this year when they were on sale!) and hence came this mousse cake. It is not all black and white either though. Palm oil industry has serious impact on environmental, animal life (orangutans and others), people and sustainable practices are still questionable, while Cocoa industry is surrounded by unfair farming practices, child labor and more. Fair trade cocoa product partners list can be found here.
I never got around to using the cocoa butter jars because it is difficult to melt the cocoa butter to get a small amount out. So I melted the whole container and made this tall tall mousse cake. 2 layers of mousse and a crust. Chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate!
More Chocolatey goodness from the blog
Dark Chocolate Silk Pie. Gluten and Soy free.
Fudgy Milk chocolate Bark with cranberries and almonds. Gluten and soy free.
Chocolate chip cookie, Caramel, Brownie Bars.
Decadent Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake /Pie has a Chocolate almond crust, a dark Chocolate mousse, a lighter mousse. No palm oil Makes 1 8 inch pan
- 7 oz cocoa butter Now foods or Fair trade certified Artisana or Navitas Naturals I used Now foods)
- 3 Theo Classic Organic 70% Cacao Dark Chocolate Fair trade, 3-Ounce Bars or other Vegan chocolate (9 oz, or 2 loaded cups of dark or semi sweet chocolate)
- 1/3 cup coconut milk full fat, canned
- 1/3 cup ground raw sugar or other fine sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely ground oat flour use certified gf oats, or use more almond flour to omit oats
- 1/2 cup finely ground almond flour use oat flour to omit nuts
- 1/3 cup ground raw sugar
- 3 Tbsp of base cocoa butter chocolate mixture
- 2 to 3 tsp maple syrup
- All of the base Cocoa butter +chocolate Mixture
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup firm or silken tofu well drained
- 1/4 cup ground raw sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup ground raw sugar
- 1/2 cup firm or silken tofu well drained
- 1.5 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp melted cocoa butter
- Base cocoa butter + chocolate mixture: In a pan, add the cocoa butter and heat at medium heat until fully melted. Depending on the cocoa butter, it can take 10 or more mins. Remove from heat when melted.
- Remove 3 Tbsp of the melted cocoa butter into a bowl and set aside.
- To the melted hot cocoa butter in the pan, add the dark chocolate let sit for half a minute. Whisk the dark chocolate to melt evenly.
- Meanwhile, mix the 1/3 cup sugar into 1/3 cup coconut milk until well combined. Add this and vanilla to the pan and mix well until smooth and shiny. This is the base cocoa butter + chocolate mixture.
- Make the dark chocolate mousse layer: Add the rest of the base cocoa butter = chocolate mixture to a blender, add 1/3 cup coconut milk, 1/3 cup tofu or very thick cashew cream, sugar and blend to a smooth consistency. Pour 2/3 of this blended mixture into the cake pan. Reserve the 1/3 of the mixture in the blender. Refrigerate the cake pan with the dark chocolate mousse for 15 mins.
- Make the lighter chocolate mousse layer: Add 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup tofu, 1.5 tsp vanilla, the 3 Tbsp reserved cocoa butter from step 2, to the blender (which has the reserve mix from step 6), and blend to smooth consistency. Pour into the pan over the dark chocolate layer. Even it out with a spatula if needed.
- Chill the cake for a few hours, slice and serve with a dollop of vegan vanilla ice cream.
Makes a tall 8 inch round cake pan. I used a spring form pan.
I used store bought Oat and almond flour. If you are grinding the oats and almonds, grind them together so the almonds can be ground fine without becoming nut butter.
Nutritional values based on one whole cake