This Tofu “Egg” Salad Sandwich comes together in 5 minutes, uses pantry ingredients, is super easy. Vegan Egg-less Recipe. Quick Tofu Egg Salad Sandwich Breakfast or Lunch.
The other day, I wanted a really simple breakfast, so I crumbled up the tofu and added the general spices I would add to a scramble and served it in a sandwich with my spicy mustard dip.
Hubbs tried some and exclaimed.. ooh this is so much like scrambled eggs. I was like, why haven’t we done this before. Hubbs ate the whole bowl by himself and I had to make more. So I took pictures of my sandwich and was hoping to post it today by 11 am.
And then this is what happened. It was game day today, so in general the anxiety level in the house was up. After 2 attempts at a walk, chewie finally did make it a few blocks in the crazy thunderstorms. Everyone was soaking wet. Around 10:30, hubbs was irritated at the stuff sitting here and there in the kitchen and living area (remnants from general saturday and cooking), so I postponed the post write up and chewie’s bath and we put things back and cleaned up to ease the rising stress. Then chewie got a warm bath in the kitchen sink and everyone was happy, clean and calmer.
Or so we think. We ate some PB bowls through the disappointing first two quarters. Chewie sensing the energy, promptly went upstairs to catch a calm nap. I had my shower and used conditioner instead of shampoo and realized after I was done, so I had another shower. With the frustration in the house, I couldn’t get myself to do anything else but watch the game. And then everything just turned in the last 3 minutes. Like OMG, that was some game! Overtime was even more fabulous! Super bowl here we come.
After all that yelling and jumping, I needed a power nap or two. Now I am back awake with tired eyes which most likely will not be reading much today or tomorrow. Anywho, make this super easy tofu salad! and please excuse ramdom spelling errors that I will correct tomorrow.
This is a basic recipe, add veggies and flavors to taste.
Now if only i could find a gluten-free vegan bread that looks that good.
More savory breakfast options from the blog.
scramble ready, dip ready, greens ready. Sandwich !
Toast the bread before making the sandwich if you like.
- 14 oz firm Tofu
- 1.5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp Indian Black Salt Kala Namak
- 1/4 tsp or more chipotle pepper powder or other hot chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika optional
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp scallions or cilantro
- 1/4 tsp or more freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp or more salt
- add 1 Tbsp vegan mayo or dijon mustard for variation
- add 2 tbsp chopped celery for variation
- Bread Slices
- Spicy mustard or vegan mayo
- Press the Tofu between your hands to remove some not all excess liquid. Crumble the Tofu into a large bowl with your hands
- Add all the ingredients through cilantro and mix well. Taste and adjust to preference. Chill until ready to serve. Before serving, dress with a very liberal sprinkle of freshly ground pepper! and salt to taste. Tastes best after chilling for some time.
- (Toast the slices if you like them toasted). Layer spicy mustard dip or dijon mustard or vegan mayo on the slice. Add greens, a good layer of tofu scramble salad. and serve.
for variation: Add celery, dill pickle and vegan mayo.
use cooked chickpeas, mash them up, use a good amount of vegan mayo to make them moist
Nutritional information based on one serving
Here is a cool infographic on how to Build a Veggie burger! Now we all can learn more about cooking plant-based at the Plant Based Professional Certification course at Rouxbe. The course is led by plant-based chef educator Chad Sarno, this ground-breaking certification course is the most comprehensive plant-based course ever put together.
The next class starts in Feb. Read more about the syllabus and sign up for a free trial here.