Easy Side Salad for the weekend. Toss your favorite pasta, corn, onions, tomatoes, peppers, black beans or other beans. Make the dressing with beans, spices and lime juice. Toss, chill and serve.
July 4th is almost here and a fabulous salad is needed for all those bbq plans and for the Burgers! This salad is flexible to taste. The dressing uses beans to make it creamy, instead of oil. Taste and adjust as you go. The salad tastes best with crunchy red onions and a good load of cilantro. Make some for the long weekend, Canada Day and July 4th!
More sides from the blog
- Crunchy Salad with Firecracker Chickpeas and Peanut sauce. Spicy!
- Potato Cauliflower Chickpea Salad with Vegan Sour Cream
- Mung Bean Sprouts, Seared Carrot Salad with Spicy Chile Lime dressing
- 4 to 6 oz mac elbows pasta use gluten-free if needed
- 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1 cup chopped ripe tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sweet corn thawed if frozen
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 of hot green chile finely chopped
- 1/4 cup packed chopped cilantro divided
- Black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1/3 cup black beans from the salad ingredients above or from another can, drained
- 3 to 4 Tbsp non dairy milk
- 1 tsp or more ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp or more chipotle pepper ground or flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder or flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp turmeric for color, optional
- 1/2 tsp or more salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp pickled jalapeno or use chopped jalapeno + 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 1 to 3 Tbsp lime juice to taste
- Cook the pasta according to instructions. (Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and pasta and cook until cooked to preference. Drain, rinse and keep aside)
- Make the dressing: Blend the black beans, non dairy milk with the rest of the ingredients. Taste and adjust salt, spice and tang. Blend until smooth and keep aside. Use more beans and less non dairy milk for creamier dressing.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, remaining beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, onions, half of the cilantro.
- Add in the dressing and toss to combine. Taste and adjust salt and tang(lime juice). Garnish with cilantro and a very generous dash of black pepper. Serve at room temperature or Chill and serve.
- Variations: Add chopped avocado tossed in lime juice to the salad. Add 2 tsp tomato paste to the dressing. Use your favorite southern chili powder instead of the spices in the dressing.
If the red onion is too sharp, soak the chopped onion in water for 15 minutes, drain then use in salad.
Nutritional values based on one serving