Vegan Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins. Easy One Bowl Pumpkin Spice muffins with vegan cream cheese filled in them. Warm spices, full of pumpkin, all whole grain Spelt flour. Garnish with pumpkin seeds or chocolate chips. Make with or without cream cheese. Vegan Breakfast Recipe Makes 12 regular size muffins.
Pumpkin season = warm spices, loads of pumpkin and moist deep colored muffins! Make these easy Spiced Pumpkin muffins. Add a dollop of vegan cream cheese in the middle or not.
These are lightly sweet, wholly spiced, whole grain Spelt flour, with loads of pumpkin puree. Dress with pumpkin seeds or chocolate chips. These muffins are super easy and use only One bowl! Whisk up the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet and mix well. Scoop into muffin liners, bake and done! Try these Pumpkin Spice Muffins with or without the vegan cream cheese. You can bake these into a loaf as well. Bake the pumpkin spice bread for 50 minutes or longer until a toothpick comes out clean
More fall recipes from the blog
- Pumpkin Spice Caramel Latte with pumpkin caramel
- Gluten-free Yeast-free Pumpkin cinnamon Rolls
- Pumpkin Chocolate Cake and Cake mix
- Pumpkin Layer Brownies
Reading for the day. This article on The Guardian about how Industrialized agriculture is the ethical crime in history.
Excerpt- “The world contains 40,000 lions but, 500,000 elephants, by way of contrast, there are around 1 Billion domesticated pigs; and 1.5 Billion domesticated cows; and 20 Billion chickens.
This is why the fate of farm animals is not an ethical side issue. It concerns the majority of Earth’s large creatures: tens of billions of sentient beings, each with a complex world of sensations and emotions, but which live and die on an industrial production line.”
Make the pumpkin batter. Fill the muffin lines half way. Then add a tsp or so of vegan cream cheese. Add more batter and even it out. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds or chocolate chips.
Bake, check with toothpick for doneness. Cool for a few minutes. Serve. Adapted from The PPk’s pumpkin muffins.
- 1 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar Use 2 tbsp more for sweeter
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar other sugar of choice
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice 11/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 to 1/3 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin not pumpkin pie mix
- 1/2 cup non dairy milk
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoons molasses add 2 tbsp for stronger flavor
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened (I used tofutti)
- pumpkin seeds or vegan mini chocolate chips optional
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F / 200ºc
- in a bowl, whisk the dry ingredients until well combined.
- Add the rest of the wet ingredients and mix well. it will take a minute or 2 for the pumpkin puree to combine well. There should be no streaks of pumpkin. Add a tbsp more non dairy milk if needed.
- Fill the muffin tins to about half.
- Add a 1 tsp or more cream cheese in the middle and fill the rest to about 3/4 full. * You can add a Tbsp of sugar plus a pinch of cinnamon to the cream cheese before filling if you want it to be sweet.
- Even it out. sprinkle pumpkin seeds or chocolate chips or other topping of choice.
Bake at 400 degrees F / 200ºc for 15 minutes, reduce temperature to 350 and continue to bake for 6 to 7 minutes. or until a toothpick test comes out clean.
- Cool for a few minutes before removing from the muffin pan. then cool completely on a cooling rack before storing. Store on the counter if consuming within a few hours. Refrigerate for upto a few days.
You can make these with unbleached white flour/ap flour as well.
For variation: add cranberries or chocolate chips to the batter.
To make without the filling, fill the muffin cups to about 3/4 and bake.
Nutritional values based on one serving