Turmeric Spinach Golden Lentil Dal – Red Lentil Soup. Easy Lentil Soup with turmeric and greens. No garlic no onion No Chop Dhal. Golden Lentil Dal with Bengali Panch phoron spices. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe. Pin this Recipe.
This easy dal comes together in minutes. I use nigella and fenugreek seeds to add the onion-garlic flavor profile so this soup is great for anyone avoiding alliums. Add veggies and baby greens of choice and let it simmer. Serve as soup with crackers or papadums or over cooked basmati rice or other grains.
Temper the whole spices in oil. Once the spices start to pop or change color considerably, add turmeric and mix in. Add the lentils and water and cook until done to preference. Fold in spinach or greens of choice. Add veggies of choice and add in some fresh turmeric!
If you don’t have nigella and fenugreek seeds, add 1/4 cup onion and 3 cloves of garlic after step 2 , and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent. The dal can also be made with just mustard seeds, cumin seeds and some garam masala.
More Easy Dals and Soups from the blog
- Turkish Lentil Soup
- Mushroom Chickpea Soup
- Curried butternut squash soup
- Mango Toor Dal
- Lentil Brown Rice Soup
- 1/2 cup red lentils washed and drained well
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/3 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/3 tsp nigella seeds
- 1/8 tsp fennel seeds optional
- 1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp or more ground turmeric
- 1/3 tsp or more cayenne
- 2/3 tsp salt or more
- 2.5 cups of water
- 1 cup chopped or baby spinach or quick cooking baby greens
- Wash the lentils and drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the whole spices in the order, Mix and let them start to pop.
- Add turmeric and cayenne and give it a quick mix. Add the washed and drained lentils, mix and roast for a minute. At this point, you can add in finely chopped veggies of choice.
- Add water and salt and mix in. Partially cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked to preference.
- Fold in the spinach or baby greens. Taste and adjust salt and heat. Simmer for 2 minutes or so. You can also add in 1 chopped tomatoes at this point.
- Serve as soup or over rice.
Variation: Add a 1/2 tsp fresh turmeric, peeled and grated when you add the spinach.
If you don't have nigella and fenugreek seeds, add 1/4 cup onion and 3 cloves of garlic after step 2 , and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until translucent.
Nutritional information based on one serving
Watch: This amazing and touching clip where Chimpanzees, that were freed from a life lived only in testing labs some decades ago, who are now living in a preserve, meet Linda Koebner, who helped them transition to their new life. After 18 years, they still remember her, hug her and cry with her.
Organizations have been trying to get Chimpanzees a non human person status and some legal rights to protect them against confinement in labs or other ways. Read more about the Non human Rights Project here.
Local news. On July 9th, join Dr. Joanne Kong in Tacoma,WA for “The Power of Plant-Based Eating” a free presentation as a part of fundraising for a farm animal rescue plan. Find more details here.