Ginger Turmeric Root Tea. Fresh Turmeric Root and ginger simmered with black pepper to make a soothing healing turmeric tonic. Add sweetener of choice. Serve hot or chilled. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe. Pin this Recipe!
Fresh Turmeric root used to be hard to find in regular and even Indian stores. I have been seeing fresh Turmeric Root often in regular grocery stores in the past year. Fresh Turmeric has a much stronger flavor profile, is bitter and will stain everything from your hands to the wood boards. You can use fresh turmeric instead of ground dried turmeric in some recipes. Peel, grate and use as you would ginger. Use smaller amounts to keep the bitter profile from overpowering the dish.
Whenever I get some fresh turmeric root, I make a jar of this tea. Simmer the turmeric root and ginger root with black pepper for a few minutes. Add sweetener of choice. Add other flavors like cinnamon or add some tulsi leaves (Indian holy Basil). Serve as hot tea or chill and serve as iced tea. Black pepper increases the bioavailbility of curcumin, so definitely add some. What’s your favorite way to use fresh turmeric!
Turmeric is used since ages for helping with various inflammation in the body. Like everything, turmeric should also be taken in moderation as it can cause issues with blood clotting.
More Turmeric (ground turmeric) Recipes from the blog.
- Turmeric Peanut butter Chickpea Curry
- Turmeric Iced Masala Tea
- Turmeric Lentil spinach Dal with Panch phoron spices
- Turmeric Steel Cut Oats
- Turmeric Lemon rice
- Most of the Indian Recipes
- 2.5 cups water
- 1 inch fresh turmeric root peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 3/4 inch ginger root thinly slices sliced
- a very good dash of freshly ground black pepper
- maple syrup or sugar to taste
- Cinnamon Stick or ground cinnamon
- slices of fresh lemon
- a few leaves of Tulsi Indian Holy Basil
- Add all the ingredients to a saucepan and bring to a simmering boil over medium low heat. Add in the optional ingredients if using. Continue to simmer for 6 to 8 minutes. Add in sweet if needed. Strain and serve. Add some lemon slices if needed.
- Or chill and serve over ice cubes as iced tea.
Add a tsp of loose tea. Add herbs and spices of choice.
Nutritional information based on 1 serving