Tofu Matar Masala – Tofu Peas in Blender Masala Sauce. Curried Tofu and peas with a roasted cumin tempering. Vegan Matar Paneer. Gluten-free Recipe. Use chickpeas, beans or veggies to make soy-free.
This easy Tofu Matar Masala Comes together within 15 minutes if you have some blender bhuna masala sauce ready to use in the fridge or the freezer. Blend up the sauce with non dairy milk or some cashews or other nuts and water, bring to a boil with tofu and peas, or use veggies of choice. Finish off the curry with a toasty oil tempered cumin seeds and cilantro. Easy and so delicious. No Masala sauce, no worries. Blend up the ingredients according to the masala sauce recipe and cook it for 20 to 25 mins, then use 4 tbsp of the sauce and proceed.
This dish is
- Super easy
- takes just 15-20 minutes
- and is flexible!
Add fresh or crisped tofu, add veggies of choice or chickpeas or beans. Garnish with spices of choice. The toasty cumins seeds adds a burst of flavor to this tofu matar masala. Toast the cumin seeds until they are fragrant and change color for best results.
More Quick Curries from the blog
- Mushroom Matar Masala
- Bombay Potato and Peas
- Aloo Baingan – Potato Eggplant Curry
- Okra in tamarind coconut sauce
- Tofu in Spinach Curry – Saag Tofu
Use the easy Blender Masala Sauce. Blend and cook until well roasted.
Blend the sauce with non dairy milk or thin cashew cream. Add to crisped tofu and peas. Simmer and serve.
Creamier Tofu Masala version with cashew cream, served with aloo gobi.
- 3 to 4 tbsp Bhuna Masala sauce
- 1 cups non dairy milk such as almond soy, coconut or cashew.
- 10 oz firm or super firm Tofu cubed small
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves kasuri methi (optional)
- 1/2 tsp or more salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup or more green peas thawed if frozen
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- Blend the bhuna masala sauce with non dairy milk until well combined and set aside. For a creamier sauce, add 4 tbsp soaked (for 10 mins) raw cashews or macadamia nuts to the blender and blend in.
- Press the tofu lightly with a paper towel to remove excess liquid. Cube into 1/2 to 3/4 inch pieces
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garam masala, turmeric, cayenne, fenugreek.
- Add tofu cubes and mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the blended sauce, salt and sugar and bring to a good boil. Fold in the peas, Continue to simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes to develop flavor. Taste and adjust salt and spice.
- Make the tempering: Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. When hot, add cumin seeds and toast them until they get fragrant. Drizzle this over the hot tofu matar masala just before serving. Garnish with cilantro. Serve with rice, flatbreads or in a bowl.
- Follow Steps 1 to 3 above. Add oil to the IP in saute mode. Add pressed cubed tofu, spices and cook for 2 to 3 mins. Add the blended sauce, salt, sugar and peas and pressure cook Manual 5 mins in the Instant Pot. Quick release, garnish with the tempering and serve.
To make this Oil-free: Toss the Tofu in spices and bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 mins. Add to the blended sauce and continue.
Toast the cumin seeds over a dry skillet until fragrant. Crush slightly and garnish the curry before serving.
To make this Soy-free: Use any veggies such as caulifower, carrots, green beans, or beans such as chickpeas, split peas.
Nutritional values based on one serving