Mushroom Matar Masala. Mushrooms and Peas in creamy tomato sauce. Mushroom Masala Recipe with Easy Blender Masala Sauce. Vegan Indian Gluten-free Soy-free. Pin this post for later
Masala means many things in Indian cuisine. It can be a dry spice blend, a wet spice blend or a sauce which can be used to make a dish. This simple Masala sauce works well with any veggies, or baked tofu, soy curls, chickpeas or lentils. Make the sauce creamier with more cashews, creamy + vegan butter to make makhani or butter sauce, tangier with more tomatoes, spicier or milder.
The sauce with mushrooms and peas is a satisfying flavorful meal. I add some spinach or greens as well. In the pictured dish, i also added some chickpeas. Serve over rice or cooked grains, with flabread or over toast for snack or breakfast. Easy and 20 minute active time in the kitchen and then let everything simmer.
Matar mean peas. Use less or more peas. To make the sauce without nuts, use pumpkin seeds or silken tofu or plain unsweetened non dairy yogurt, or full fat coconut milk or coconut cream. Many many more options for sauces, curries, easy dishes on the blog and my book.
More curries from the blog
- Bhindi Masala
- Mushroom Chickpea Soup with veggies and greens
- Aloo Baingan – Potato Eggplant Curry
- Okra in tamarind coconut sauce
- Bhindi Zunka – Okra crusted with chickpea flour and spices.
Mushroom Matar Masala
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 green chile remove seeds to reduce heat if needed
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (32.25 g) raw cashews soaked for 15 mins if needed, use 1/3 cup for creamier sauce
- 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves kasuri methi
- 6 to 8 oz (170 to 225 g) sliced white mushrooms
- 3/4 cup (108.75 g) or more peas
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) or more salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more sugar
- 1 cup (30 g) chopped spinach optional
- cayenne to preference
- cilantro for garnish
- Blend onion, garlic, ginger, chile with a few tbsp of water to a puree in a blender.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the above puree. Cook for 5 to 7 mins or until the onion smell is not raw. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, blend tomatoes and cashews in the same blender until smooth. Blend for two 1 min cycles so the cashews are blended in. Add the pureed tomato puree, garam masala, paprika, and fenugreek to the skillet. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes.Stir occasionally.
- Add mushrooms, peas, other veggies, 1/2 cup or more water, salt, sugar. I added a 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas as well as seen in the pictures. Mix well.
- Cover and cook for 10 mins or till the mushrooms are cooked to preference.
- Fold in spinach if using, taste adjust salt and heat. I usually add some cayenne.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice, cooked grains or with flatbread.