Easy Bhuna Masala Sauce for Indian curries. 1 Pot 30 Minute Masala Sauce. Bhuna means roasted. Use this roasted masala simmer sauce for quick curries. Add non dairy milk or cashew cream or yogurt. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe. Vegan Masala Sauce to make 15 minute curries for weeknight dinners.
This Easy Masala Sauce is handy to keep around for quick meals. To make the sauce, just blend everything and cook down until well roasted. Store in the refrigerator or freeze. Bhuna means roasted. The sauce is cooked down to a concentrated form reducing 40 to 50 minute prep + cook time when you want to make a quick masala curry.
To use this masala sauce, blend 2 to 3 tbsp of the roasted sauce with 1 to 1.5 cup non dairy milk (for 2 to 3 serves). Add to a saucepan with veggies or crisped tofu. or add lentil/veggie balls after the sauce has simmered for a bit. Add salt to taste. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until veggies are cooked to preference. Serve over rice or with flatbread. You can also blend it with water or broth for a thinner sauce, or with thin cashew cream or cashew milk for creamy curry or non dairy yogurt for a tikka masala-ish sauce. Here is a Tofu Matar Masala with the sauce. More ways to use it below.
Blended sauce ready to cook down.
The sauce can be used as a marinade. Blend with just enough non dairy milk to make a thick batter, toss in veggies or tofu or tempeh, salt and lemon juice and mix to coat. Bake for 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.
You can also add the masala sauce to make dal/soup with lentils, chickpeas or split peas. Add to the simmering almost cooked legumes. Add salt and spice to taste and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes and serve.
This sauce is
- needs just 1 blender and 1 pot. no fine chopping skills needed.
- Flexible to taste. Add spices of choice
- Good to have to make quick 15 minute curried meals.
If you make it do leave me a comment, or tag me #veganricha on Instagram!
Just Keep cooking.
More Quick Curries from the blog
- Mushroom Matar Masala
- Bhindi Masala
- Aloo Baingan – Potato Eggplant Curry
- Okra in tamarind coconut sauce
- Tofu in Spinach Curry – Saag Tofu
Roasted . Use or store.
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 10 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch big knob of ginger
- 1 hot green chile
- 1 to 1.5 tsp paprika or 5 to 7 kashmiri red chilies, soaked in warm water for 15 mins
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp or more garam masala
- 4 fenugreek seeds optional
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 large tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Additional spices to add for variations: Either or all of 1/4 tsp ground cloves 1/4 tsp black pepper, 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- Blend all the ingredients except oil in a blender.
- Heat oil in a saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add the blended mixture to the saucepan and continue to cook stirring occasionally for 20 to 25 minutes.
- The mixture will thicken, then start to darken. If the masala starts to burn, reduce heat to medium-low. The mixture will eventually start to leave the sides of the pan which is when it is done. See pictures above
- Store the masala sauce in an airtight container refrigerated for upto a week or frozen for upto a month.
- Alternate Method: Blend everything except tomatoes. Use a few tbsp of water if needed. Add the blended onion mixture to the saucepan with oil, and cook until the onion does not smell raw, stirring occasionally. 11 to 13 minutes. Then blend the tomatoes to a puree and add to the saucepan. Cook until the mixture is homogeneous and most of the watery puree has thickened. 10 to 15 minutes. Store.
This is concentrated roasted masala sauce. To use, blend 2 to 3 tbsp of the sauce with 1 to 1.5 cup non dairy milk. Add to a saucepan with veggies or crisped tofu. Add salt to taste. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until veggies are cooked to preference. Taste and adjust salt, sweet, and heat (cayenne). Add a dash of lemon and garnish with cilantro. Or blend with just enough non dairy milk to make a thick batter, toss in veggies or tofu or tempeh, salt and lemon juice and mix to coat. Bake for 30 minutes or until veggies are tender.
Nutrition is 1 of 4 serves