10 Minute Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce. How to make Creamy Vegan Queso Dip. For Nachos, salads, tacos and more. Vegan Nut-free Recipe. Jump to Recipe
This Creamy 10 Minute Cheese Sauce is flavorful and works amazingly for Nachos, Tacos, Mexican style bowls and everything! Some bell pepper, individual spices so that you can adjust the flavor profile rather than depend on a pre-mixed chili powder, nutritional yeast for cheesiness and jalapeno make this a fabulous queso. I also like it in quesadillas or sandwiches instead of cheese and with chipotle pepper spiced baked sweet potato fries. So good!
I have another Nacho Cheese Sauce recipe using chickpea flour which is also nut-free. Both work really well. This is a doubled up portion of the cheese sauce used with Bell pepper Nachos that I posted recently. For a Cashew based sauce see this deeply flavorful Nacho Mac Casserole.
Easy, Flavorful and Ready in 10!
If you make this cheese sauce, let me know how it turned out!.
10 Minute Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce - Vegan Queso
- 1.5 tbsp oil , olive oil or organic safflower
- 2 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup (37.25 g) chopped green bell pepper , finely chopped
- 3.5 tbsp flour , unbleached all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) each of cumin ,garlic powder, dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) chipotle pepper powder or 1/2 tsp adobo sauce
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) onion powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground mustard optional
- 1 3/4 cup (413 ml) unsweetened non dairy milk , such as almond milk or soy milk
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast , less or more to preference
- 1 tsp soy sauce optional
Optional Add ins:
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 2 tbsp (2 tbsp) chopped pickled jalapeno for garnish
- cilantro for garnish, lemon for tang
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook for 2 minutes.. Add flour and mix in. Cook the flour in oil for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in the bell pepper and cook for half a minute. Mix in the spices and cook for a few seconds.
- Mix in about half the non dairy milk and all of the nutritional yeast. Whisk frequently to mix in the lumps. Add the rest of the non dairy milk and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened. Taste carefully and adjust salt and flavor. Add more cumin or smoked paprika for smokier, chipotle for heat). Add a pinch of turmeric for color if you like and mix in.
- At this point, you can cool the mixture slightly and blend it to make it more creamier and smoother (optional). Mix in the salsa if using. Garnish with pickled jalapeno, cilantro and lemon if needed. Some chopped roasted pimiento or red bell pepper also is a great option to mix in. Serve over nachos, tacos, with chips, quesadillas and more.