Vegan Cowboy Cookies Mix makes great Jar gifts for the Holiday Season. Layer oats, flour, coconut, chocolate sugar and pecans. Mix, add applesauce and oil, and bake. 1 Bowl Coconut Oatmeal Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies Vegan Recipe Can be gluten-free.
It’s time to whip up food gifts, meet up with friends, cook together and spend the long (and generally wet out here) cold evenings by the fireplace. As much as I love Summer and long days, a bit of slow down and catch up is helpful to recharge for the new year. Lets start up some jar gifts with these warm, buttery, chewy vegan Cowboy cookies.
These Coconut, Oatmeal, chocolate chip cookies are super tasty and make a great mix to gift. Layer everything nicely in a jar. To Bake, empty into a bowl, add applesauce and oil, chill, shape and bake. I am wondering why it took me so long to make these cookies. They are just the right amount of chewy, fun, delicious and also make great snack cookies.
Use small flaked coconut to make the cookies less chewy and less crumbly. The mix can keep for months!
More cookies from the blog
- PB Chickpea Cookie Pie- Can be nut-free. GF
- Lemon Chia Cookies. GF option
- Peanut/Almond butter Pecan Cookies
- Almond Butter Oatmeal Cookies. GF oil-free
- Ginger Tahini Cookies
- Best Chocolate Chip Cookies with coconut oil
More Jar gifts
- Chocolate Pumpkin Cake mix in a jar.
- Mexican Hot chocolate Mix in a Jar.
- Coconut Macaroons Mix in a Jar. GF
- Coconut Chutney Mix and Dosa Crepe Mix in a Jar
- Dal tadka- Indian spiced Lentil Soup mix in a jar.
Put the entire jar into a bowl. Mix well.
Add applesauce and oil and mix them lightly, then mix into the dry.
Chill, then bake.
1 Bowl Coconut Oatmeal Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies. Vegan Cowboy Cookies Mix in a Jar. Makes great Jar gift for the Holiday Season. Layer oats, flour, coconut, chocolate sugar and pecans. Mix, add applesauce and oil, and bake. Can be gluten-free. Makes 16 to 20 cookies based on size. Fill a 32 oz or 4 cup jar
- 1 cup flour (I use unbleached white flour, See notes for gluten-free option)
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup oats
- 2/3 cup shredded coconut , use 1/2 cup for less coconutty
- 3/4 cup vegan chocolate chips ,I use a mix of regular and mini size
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp applesauce
- 1/3 cup + 1 to 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract optional
- In a bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, soda, salt and 1/4 cup sugar. Whisk well and set aside.
In a 4 cup(32 oz) mason jar, add the oats, then add coconut, tap to settle, then add chocolate chips, then 1/2 cup sugar. Tap to settle. Add the flour mixture. Tap a couple of times to settle, so that there is space for the pecans. Add the chopped pecans. Add as many as you can.
- Close the lid. Add instructions and store.
Empty the contents of the jar in a large bowl. Mix well to combine. Make a well a center. (see note if not making a jar)
Add applesauce, 1/3 cup oil and vanilla extract and whisk them in the center to mix a bit.
Then mix in with the dry ingredients. Press down and mix for a few seconds. Add a tbsp more oil if needed and mix in. The dough should start to come together even though crumbly. Chill the mixture for an hour for best results.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a sheet with parchment. Make flat discs of the dough and place on the baking sheet.
Bake for 11 to 13 mins, depending on size. Cool for 10 mins. Store on the counter for upto 2 days or refrigerate for longer.
To make the cookies directly: Follow step 1 , then add the rest of the dry ingredients to the bowl and mix in. Add a couple of tbsp more pecans. Continue with step 2 under bake the cookies (adding applesauce and oil).
To make these gluten-free: Use any gluten-free flour blend of choice or a mix if 1/4 cup rice flour, 1/2 cup almond flour and 1/4 cup starch.
To make these nut-free, omit pecans.
I havent tried these oil-free. The cookies might work with some (1/3 cup) smooth nut butter or sunbutter and additional applesauce as needed to make a dough. Let me know if they do work out.
Nutrition is 1 of 16 cookies