Instant Pot Tomato Soup with Cornmeal Crusted Tofu Croutons. Easy 1 Pot Vegan Tomato Soup with Crispy Croutons. Use any croutons and spices of choice. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe. can be nut-free, soy-free.
This soup is Gorgeous, delicious and super easy. Just blend up the ingredients, pour into the instant pot with some herbs, pressure cook for five minutes and you are done. I top the soup with crispy tofu croutons that work wonderfully.
Oregano, dill and basil add the flavor. Cashew or Coconut milk add creamyness. The soup can easily be made without tofu with other croutons (bread, roasted chickpeas), without nuts with coconut milk and oil free by sauteing in broth. Try this delicious soup with Extra black pepper for the chilly days. The soup can also be easily made in a saucepan, see recipe notes. For variation, change up the herbs, add some red lentils (1/4 cup) with the tomato mix for a hearty soup. Build it up to make your own tomato soup!
This soup is Super Easy,
Flexible and can be made in a saucepan and without nuts or soy.
More Instant Pot Pressure cooker Recipes to try..
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils.
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF
- Lentil Veggie Dhansak – Lentil Veggie Stew in IP. GF
- Kohlapuri Veggies – Veggies in sesame coconut sauce GF
- Lentil Sweet Potato Soup GF
If you make this soup, do let me know how it turned out! Tag me on Instagram, #veganricha.
Instant Pot Tomato Soup with Cornmeal Crusted Tofu Croutons. Easy 1 Pot Vegan Tomato Soup with Crispy Croutons. Use any croutons and spices of choice. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe. can be nut-free.
- 7 oz tofu pressed for 10 minutes and cubed
- 1 tablespoon fine cornmeal , or use rice flour or breadcrumbs as sub
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup water or broth
- 1/2 teaspoon each oregano basil
- 1/2 tsp fresh dill or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup cashew milk or thick full fat coconut milk , 1/2 to 3/4 cup based on preference
- Black pepper for garnish , sugar/sweetener for flavor (optional)
Tofu Croutons: Combine all the herbs, spices in a bowl. Add tofu cubes and toss to coat. Spread on parchment lined baking sheet. Spray oil (optional). Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 mins (depends on your preference of crispy, chewyness).
- Soup: Blend carrots, tomato paste diced tomatoes and water into a smooth purée.
- Put the Instant Pot on Sauté. Add oil. When the oil is hot, add onion and garlic, cook for two minutes stirring frequently. Deglaze with some water if needed.
- Add the herbs, salt, onion and garlic powder, and pepper flakes and mix in. Add the blended tomato mixture and mix in.
- Close the Instant Pot and pressure cook for five minutes. Let the pressure release naturally or Quick release after 10 minutes.
Add in the cashew milk and black pepper if using. Bring to a boil on saute. Taste and adjust salt, herbs, tang with lemon. Add some sweetener if needed.
Serve with the crispy tofu croutons. Add a drizzle of cashew milk/cream and some fresh basil or dill for garnish (optional).
Use Any other Croutons of choice such as garlic bread, garlicky roasted chickpeas etc to make soy-free.
Nut-free: Use coconut milk
Oil-free: Saute onion and garlic in 2 tbsp water or broth, deglaze if needed.
Saucepan: Follow step 1 and 2. Saute onion and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat, add the blended tomato mixture and herbs and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 mins partially covered. Then add the cashew milk and bring to a boil. Adjust taste and consistency (add more broth if needed). Simmer for 5 mins and serve.
To make cashew milk: Soak 1/4 cup cashews in hot water for 15 mins, drain and blend with 3/4 cup water until smooth.
Nutrition is for 1 of 3 serves, using coconut milk