Instant Pot Tomato Soup with Cornmeal Crusted Tofu Croutons. Easy 1 Pot Vegan Tomato Soup with Crispy Croutons. Use any croutons and spices of choice. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe. can be nut-free, soy-free.
This soup is Gorgeous, delicious and super easy. Just blend up the ingredients, pour into the instant pot with some herbs, pressure cook for five minutes and you are done. I top the soup with crispy tofu croutons that work wonderfully.
Oregano, dill and basil add the flavor. Cashew or Coconut milk add creamyness. The soup can easily be made without tofu with other croutons (bread, roasted chickpeas), without nuts with coconut milk and oil free by sauteing in broth. Try this delicious soup with Extra black pepper for the chilly days. The soup can also be easily made in a saucepan, see recipe notes. For variation, change up the herbs, add some red lentils (1/4 cup) with the tomato mix for a hearty soup. Build it up to make your own tomato soup!
This soup is Super Easy,
Flexible and can be made in a saucepan and without nuts or soy.
More Instant Pot Pressure cooker Recipes to try..
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils.
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF
- Lentil Veggie Dhansak – Lentil Veggie Stew in IP. GF
- Kohlapuri Veggies – Veggies in sesame coconut sauce GF
- Lentil Sweet Potato Soup GF
If you make this soup, do let me know how it turned out! Tag me on Instagram, #veganricha.
Instant Pot Tomato Soup
For the Tofu Croutons:
- 7 oz tofu pressed for 10 minutes and cubed
- 1 tablespoon fine cornmeal , or use rice flour or breadcrumbs as sub
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) paprika
For The Soup:
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 (0.5) onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/4 cup (32 g) carrots
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (65.5 ml) tomato paste
- 1 cup (8.82 oz) water or broth
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) each oregano basil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) fresh dill or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) each onion powder and garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup (169.5 ml) cashew milk or thick full fat coconut milk , 1/2 to 3/4 cup based on preference
- Black pepper for garnish , sugar/sweetener for flavor (optional)
- Tofu Croutons: Combine all the herbs, spices in a bowl. Add tofu cubes and toss to coat. Spread on parchment lined baking sheet. Spray oil (optional). Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 20 mins (depends on your preference of crispy, chewyness).
- Soup: Blend carrots, tomato paste diced tomatoes and water into a smooth purée.
- Put the Instant Pot on Sauté. Add oil. When the oil is hot, add onion and garlic, cook for two minutes stirring frequently. Deglaze with some water if needed.
- Add the herbs, salt, onion and garlic powder, and pepper flakes and mix in. Add the blended tomato mixture and mix in.
- Close the Instant Pot and pressure cook for five minutes. Let the pressure release naturally or Quick release after 10 minutes.
- Add in the cashew milk and black pepper if using. Bring to a boil on saute. Taste and adjust salt, herbs, tang with lemon. Add some sweetener if needed.
- Serve with the crispy tofu croutons. Add a drizzle of cashew milk/cream and some fresh basil or dill for garnish (optional).
I would like to know if I can freeze the tofu croutons. You use them with the tomato soup recipe.
Thanks for the info.
Vegan Richa Support
You can – it will change the texture slightly.
Very tasty! Wish I doubled it!
Love this recipe. A little bit of lemon at the end really brightens this delicious recipe. Thanks Richa!
Hey! I will be making this for dinner tonight (SO excited!). Would the soup turn out okay if I didn’t use coconut milk or cashew cream and just left it as is? Additionally, I have a lot of carrots that I need to get cook asap, can I double the amount of carrots for this recipe?
Yes, you can use more carrots and leave out the cream portions. Add more herbs and pepper etc for flavor. You can also adjust flavor with some lime juice
Just a quick question. I’m not sure if it’ll really matter or not, but the carrots that get blended in, are they cooked or raw?
Hi Richa- I made this tonight and it was great. If I doubled the soup recipe in the IP, do you think I would need to adjust the cooking time any?
Cooktingtime will be the same.
Move over Campbell’s tomato soup! I can’t believe I ate that garbage for so many years! This soup is so flavorful! I put potato ‘croutons’ on top because I had some that needed to be eaten, but can’t wait to try the tofu next time!
Hello! And thank you so much for sharing the wonderful recipes!
For this soup, did you use fresh tomatoes? Would canned diced tomatoes, or canned tomato puree work?
You can use either. I usually use canned diced. Puree will work too, you might need to add a bit more water. with pureed tomato, if it is already concentrated, you might not need as much tomato paste.
Great! I added in a 1/4 tsp just in case and it was delicious! Loved the soup.
Step number 4 says, “Add the herbs, salt, onion and garlic powder, and pepper flakes and mix in. Add the blended tomato mixture and mix in.” But, the garlic powder is listed for the tofu croutons. Is there supposed to be garlic powder with the soup herbs, as well?
ah its missing, add 1/4 tsp garlic powder as well. updated the recipe
This was so fresh, delicious, and easy. I had a box of tomatoes I needed to use, so I finally made this soup I have been eyeing. I made it on the stove top, and I just added my own gf bread croutons as I am taking a break from soy. Anyway, the only problem, like with all your recipes, is I am kicking myself for not doubling it. So good. Thanks!
Hi Richa… I make a soup similar to this… but for the cream I blend soaked cashews and a peeled baked potato… It makes it sooo creamy!
I don’t think I’ve seen you mention this cream base so I thought I’d share it with you!
Thanks for all you do!
My daughter and I love your recipes!
Sounds great! I do use potato in some cheese sauces like for mac and cheese. though i boil the potatoes. i’ll have to try baked potato to see if the texture and flavor differs. Great idea!
Do you ever have a problem with this recipe or similar ones with the Instant Pot burning food and not getting up to pressure because the liquid is too thick? I want to try this recipe but have concern the newer instant pots burn sensor is overly sensitive.
Not yet. If you feel like the liquid is a bit too thick or the contents are too heavy (the weight of the dry ingredients on the bottom can throw off the sensor), add a bit more liquid around the edge of the food and stir lightly so there is some distribution. If you see my saag soycurls video, the sauce is pretty thick spinach sauce and it works fine. oil maybe be helping keep a layer between the food and the pot even when the sauce thickens a lot.
Yummy! Everyone devoured their bowls with some Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Tried a bunch of new vegan cheese slices, some were really good.
Hi Richa, Can this soup be frozen? I am trying to use up masses of tomatoes (Australian Autumn) This looks great!!!!
i think the pasta would get overcooked on heating. You can freeze it without the pasta and add some cooked pasta when reheating.
The OP did not talk about pasta?
oops i thought this was the instant pot lasagna soup. tomato soup should freeze fine
Honestly, the tofu croutons grabbed my attention more than the soup! Brilliant! Although I will try both and will report back
I am eating my first bowl now. I had some red peppers in the fridge that were going wrinkly so I roasted them with the tofu then blended them in too. I used about half the garlic called for because I didn’t want the taste of the vegetables and other herbs to be overwhelmed.
The result is a very fresh tasting, flavourful soup with a rich consistency. I wish I could get soup this good in a restaurant! I might eat out more.
Awesome! I know right, I wish there were more restaurants that have simple, fresh and flavorful meals that are not salads.
I made this tonight (including the tofu croutons). It was delicious! Thanks for the great recipes.
Richa — Is this in one of your cookbooks?
Looks very good!
Already figuring out how to double or even triple so there’s enough for everyone else!
these are all new recipes on the blog now 🙂 I have a indian spiced tomato soup also on the blog. https://www.veganricha.com/2016/09/spiced-tomato-soup-recipe.html
Cassie Thuvan Tran
This soup looks so nice! I really like the ideas of the tofu croutons! Crispy tofu is my favorite!