Veg Kolhapuri Recipe – Veggies in Sesame Coconut Tomato Kolhapuri Sauce. Instant Pot/Saucepan.Use up the leftover veggies in this flavorful sauce. Anything goes. Indian Version of Sloppy Veggie Sandwiches. Add cooked beans for added protein. Vegan Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. Gluten-free with gf buns or flatbread.
Kolhapuri cuisine is a regional cuisine from a town in the state of Maharashtra in India. The region has its own chilies and is know for hot, deep colored, spicy dishes and sauces. The cuisine has its own spice blend called kolhapuri masala which uses spices, coconut, fenugreek and chilies. I make a simplified version of the masala blend (hence not totally authentic). The masala blend works well with veggies, or added to curries/sauces and added to roasted veggies.
The veggies are boiled to al dente and combined with a sauce of blended onion, tomato and a roasted Kolhapuri Masala spice blend. The resulting dish is a delicious veggie curry that can be served as sloppy sandwiches. Serve these kolhapuri veggies with crackers, toasted dinner rolls, garlic bread or flatbread.
This dish is somewhat like Pav bhaji, that is a veggie mash street food served with dinner rolls. Pav bhaji can be found in my cookbook. Both these dishes are excellent to use up all kinds of veggies. There is also a pressure cooker/ Instant Pot option in the recipe. Make some and let me know in the comments how you like it!
More Indian mains
- Mushroom Matar Masala
- Bombay Potato and Peas
- Aloo Baingan – Potato Eggplant Curry
- Tofu Matar Masala
- Tofu in Spinach Curry – Saag Tofu
Make the toasty Kolhapuri spice blend. The masala blend adds a lot of red color to sauces. Add more mild dried chiles or paprika to preference for the color.
Blend with onion, tomato and cook until it thickens and dries a bit.
Combine with veggies and cook till tender in a saucepan or a pressure cooker. This is a very tender veggie stew. Cook them for less time for a veggies cooked to your preference.
Veg Kolhapuri Recipe - Veggies in Sesame Coconut Tomato Sauce (Instant Pot/Saucepan)
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 2 tsp Sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) Poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) Black pepper corns
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cumin seeds
- 4 dried red chilies cayenne or arbol for hot and california red or 1-2 guajillo for mild
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) Nutmeg powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) or more paprika
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion roughly chopped
- 2 (2 ) tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 inch ginger
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 2 cups (214 g) cauliflower
- 1.5 cups (199.5 g) sweet potato
- 1.5 to 2 cups (192 g) other veggies carrots green beans, green peas etc
- 1/2 cup (74.5 g) chopped bell pepper
- 1.5 to 2 cups (375 ml) water
- salt cayenne to preference
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add all ingredients coriander seeds through cumin and roast for 2 to 3 minutes or until they start to change color. Add the chilies and coconut and continue to roast for a minute or until coconut starts to change color. Take off heat and mix in the nutmeg, paprika and cinnamon. Cool slightly and grind to a coarse powder in a spice grinder or small blender.
- Add the sauce ingredients to a blender along with the ground spice mixture from above. Add a tbsp or so water and blend until smooth.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the blended sauce mixture and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until the garlic doesnt smell raw and the sauce thickens and changes color. Stir occasionally. You can store this sauce to use later at this point(in the fridge for upto 3 days).
- Meanwhile, combine the veggies except bell pepper, in a saucepan with 2 cups of water. Add 1/2 tsp salt and cayenne to preference. Cover partially and Cook over medium hot until the veggies are al dente. (15 to 20 minutes). Fold in the bell pepper and peas in the last 5 mins. Add greens or cooked beans at this point if using.
- Combine the cooked sauce mixture from Step 3 and cooked veggies and mix well. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until desired consistency. Mash some of the veggies. Taste and adjust slat and heat and mix in. Garnish with cilantro and lemon and serve with crackers, toasted dinner rolls, garlic bread or flatbread.
- Make the sauce on saute mode or in a separate skillet (step 1 to 3 above). Once the sauce is cooked, combine the sauce, chopped veggies, 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt with 1 to 1.5 cups of water and Pressure cook for 14 to 15 minutes (manual) in an Instant pot or electric pressure cooker , Or 6 to 7 mins in a Stove top pressure cooker once the pressure has reached. Let the pressure release naturally, open, taste and adjust salt, garnish with cilantro and lemon. If there is too much liquid, cook on saute for a few mins to reduce.
Pre cook the veggies by blanching or roasting until al dente. To serving, toss the veggies into the sauce and simmer for 7 to 8 mins. Add a bit of water if needed.
Or to serve, combine the stored cooked sauce, veggies, 1 cup water in an instant pot and cook for 14 mins on manual. Nurititonal values based on one serving