Vegan Malai Burfi (Milk Cake)- Indian Fudge Bars. Creamy Cardamom Fudge. Dairy-free Burfi For Indian Festivals. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Recipe. 8 Ingredients! Jump to Recipe
Every year around the festival season, memories of celebrations make their presence felt. I can’t travel that far anymore but I can celebrate with family and friends here, and enjoy all the amazing food and desserts.
Dairy is a heavily used ingredient esp in Indian desserts that are often made or bought for the festivals. So I try veganize a few of them every so often. I developed this recipe after tasting a nut based cultured cheese(Macadamia cashew Camembert) from Vromage sometime back. The cheese reminded me of the texture of Burfis like Kalakand and Malai Burfi. The slight tang, the dense rich flavor, minus the sugar. Being able to Veganize Indian desserts is always exciting. Its like being able to eat that favorite family cake or pie again after many years! Lets get to this homemade vegan burfi.
There are 2 ways to make this Malai Burfi. Use almond based vegan cream cheese. I use kite hill cream cheese for this quick burfi. Or You can make your own almond cheese with peeled soaked almonds, a dash of salt, a touch of probiotic powder. Blend with just a bit of water, wrap in a cheesecloth and let it sit to drain on the counter and just about start to ferment for a few hours and use it. You want to use the cream cheese while very fresh with a light fermented flavor. The cream cheese will keep on fermenting with time and getting tangier which will alter the flavor of this Burfi Fudge. Most other non dairy cheeses might not work in this recipe.
This is a very simple recipe and it is so close to the dairy burfi, you will be surprised. Indian desserts tend to be very sweet traditionally and I am sticking to the traditional flavor. Indian sweets and desserts are generally served in small portions on occasion. You can reduce the sugar if you wish. This burfi also has a specific traditional flavor and texture. You can play around with the ingredients to make a creamy cardamom fudge to preference if you are not trying to stick to it.
More Indian Desserts options from the blog
- Gajar Halwa- Carrot Spoon fudge GF.
- Mango Sheera / Halwa
- Mango Burfi – GF Bars
- Kesar Peda – GF Saffron almond fudge cookies
- 7 Cup Burfi – Chickpea flour coconut Fudge. GF
- Vermicelli Kheer Pudding – GF option
- More Indian Sweets like Gulab jamun, Kaju Katli,Laddoos.
There are also more vegan Indian desserts (sandesh, Rasmalai!) in Indian Kitchen book.
This burfi is a soft moist fudgy bar with a burst of texture and flavor. Garnish with whatever you like and make a double batch for Rakhee or Indian Independence day. If you make this Burfi, let me know how it turned out.
Vegan Malai Burfi (Milk Cake)- Indian Fudge Bars
- 6 tbsp vegan cream cheese ,kite hill plain almond works best, as fresh as possible (see note to make your own)
- 2.5 tbsp vegan butter
- 9 to 11 tbsp (NaN tbsp) sugar (fine sugar) (Indian desserts are sweet. Use a tbsp or so less for less sweet)
- 1/2 cup (0.5 cup) + 1 to 2 tbsp almond flour (blanched no skin works best)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour . optional , add more almond flour if needed
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) ground cardamom
- seeds from 1 cardamom pod , crushed lightly or chopped
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) salt
- raw pistachio or almond slivers for garnish
- Mix & Whip the cream cheese and vegan butter with a spoon, until well mixed and slightly fluffy. Add sugar and whip again.
- Add the 1/2 cup almond flour, coconut flour, cardamom, salt and mix well. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to thicken before adding more almond flour. You want it to be just about stiff. Taste and adjust sweetness and cardamom. At this point try to not eat all of it.
- Chill for 5-10 mins, then spread the mixture on parchment. Using another parchment paper on top, even it out and make into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Chill again for 15 mins, slice and separate slices a bit. Press chopped pistachios on the slices.
- Bake at 275 degrees F for 8 to 10 mins. Let cool, then chill for another hour before serving. Store refrigerated for upto 3 days.