Instant Pot Vegan Korma Recipe with White Korma Sauce. Saucepan option. This Creamy Veggie and Tofu Korma is made in Instant Pot Pressure cooker. Vegan Glutenfree Coconutfree Recipe. Soyfree, Nutfree option Jump to Recipe
There are kormas and there are kormas. Some have tomato and some dont. The spices and flavors vary depending on the region, family recipe, restaurant recipe and so on. Most have no coconut, some have coconut. I have a couple of recipes on the blog and my Indian Kitchen book. Restaurant style Navratan Korma and white sauce navratan Korma in my book. A Veggie Korma without onion here, and a Coconut korma with a creamy sauce here. Lots of Korma Options!
This Korma sauce is an Instant Pot version. This White Korma sauce uses a base of onion, spices, nuts and poppy seeds. You can use pumpkin seeds instead of cashews for a nutfree version. The Sauce gets pressure cooked to get the deep roasted flavor, then roasted or chopped veggies are added and simmered for a few minutes before serving. Serve this delicious bowl with some toasted nuts or seeds and dried fruit garnish. As with all recipes, allergy friendly options and saucepan option are mentioned. Lets make more Korma!
More Instant Pot Recipes – all have saucepan options
- IP Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce GF
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- IP Lentil Chili. GF
- IP Mushroom Wild Rice Soup. GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- IP Potato Chickpea Soup. GF
Tips to Cooking Creamy Indian Sauces in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Northern Indian or restaurant dishes with thick or rich or tomatoey Indian Sauces can have a tendency to stick to the pot under pressure and cause burn errors. You might have to tinker around with the liquid needed by your pot to avoid the burn errors. Watch for the general thickness of the sauce before closing the lid. Add a bit more water to cool down to the pot before closing. Mix really well, before closing the lid.
- If your IP is generally problematic with thick sauces,You can also omit the cashews from the sauce, blend it with 1/2 cup water to make cream and add later with the veggies while simmering.
- Since there are no long cooking ingredients such as meats in vegan meals, you want to make the sauce by itself. The longer cooking time helps the sauce roast well which is the key to getting that amazing flavor profile. Veggies overcook in that much time and also add more moisture which doesnt allow the sauce to roast and caramelize.
- Spices: Old spices can lose a lot of flavor. If the sauce isn’t as flavorful as you like, there may be less pay off from the spices or your personal preference maybe be for more. Just double them up. Also adjust salt to taste. The right amount often helps the flavor bloom.
Instant Pot Vegan Korma Recipe with White Korma Sauce. This Creamy Veggie and Tofu Korma is made in Instant Pot Pressure cooker. Saucepan option. Use more veggies or chickpeas for soyfree. Vegan Coconut-free Glutenfree Recipe. Soyfree, Nutfree option
- 7 oz tofu, cubed , or use other veggies such as cauliflower (1.5 to 2 cups)
- 8 oz Sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp oil , divided
- 3 green Cardamom Pods
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 to 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp cayenne
- 1 medium or small onion
- 1 inch ginger
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup cashews ,use pumpkin seeds for nut-free, other nuts for cashew-free
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup non dairy yogurt
- 1/2 cup water + 1/2 cup water for rinsing
- 1 cup other veggies, chopped small , I use quick cooking veggies as broccoli, peppers, zucchini, peas
- 2 tbsp roasted cashew (optional)
- 1 tbsp raisins or dates
Toss tofu, sweet potatoes in 1 tsp oil. Sprinkle in the spices and mix. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 C) for 20 to 25 mins.
Blend the korma sauce ingredients with 1/2 cup water until coarsely blended.
Add oil to the Instant Pot on saute. When hot, add the korma sauce. Cook for 2 minutes, to bring to a boil and simmer for another few seconds. This allows the pungency of the onion to cook out. Use 1/2 cup water to rinse out the blender and add to the pot. Mix well so there isn't anything stuck to the bottom. Close the lid
Pressure cook at high pressure for 11 mins. Let the pressure release naturally.
Open the lid and mix. At this point you can store this sauce. (Simmer with tempeh, seitan, vegan meat/chickin subs, some non dairy milk and salt depending on the addition used.)
Add the baked tofu and sweet potato. Add the other quick cooking veggies (or a cup of cooked chickpeas), 1/4 cup or more non dairy milk(for saucier) and 1/4 tsp salt. Mix and cook on saute for 2-3 minutes to bring to a good boil and cook for another minute. Mix frequently to avoid sticking. Taste and adjust salt. Add a 1/4 tsp or more sugar/ sweetener if needed.
Cancel and let the mixture sit in the pot for 5 mins so the veggies cook through and the flavors develop. Add 1-2 tbsp roasted cashews or other nuts/seeds and 1-2 tbsp of dried fruit such as raisins or finely chopped dates and mix in (optional).
- Garnish with cilantro and pepper flakes and serve over rice or Naan.
Refrigerate(just the sauce or veggie korma) for upto 4 days. Freeze for upto a month.
Stovetop: Follow steps 1,2. Add oil to a saucepan over medium heat. Add the blended sauce and cook for 18 to 22 minutes. Stir occasionally. The sauce should thicken and smell roasted and not like raw onion, then add baked tofu+ sweet potatoes and other veggies or chickpeas if using, and 1/2 cup water and simmer for 5 mins. Add roasted nuts and raisins and mix in. Serve.
Oilfree: Omit the oil and use broth for sauteing and to bake the veggies.
Whole Spices: If you dont have whole spices, use 1/2 tsp ground cardamom, 1/8 tsp ground clove instead.
Nutrition is for 1 serve