These Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches use a quick oat flour cookie dough with coconut milk vanilla ice cream base all homemade. No Baking, no ice cream machine needed. Glutenfree Soyfree Recipe. Nutfree option Jump to Recipe
Its getting hot out here and tubs of ice creams are disappearing from the freezer. Thankfully we have many locations of amazing plant based ice cream shops. I do make some frozen treats every once in a while, see list above the recipe. I don’t have an ice cream maker, so I always try to make ice cream that will work well without. This coconut vanilla ice cream stays creamy and delicious.
These cookie dough ice cream sandwiches have a simple oat flour and maple syrup based cookie dough with chocolate chips mixed in. The ice cream is a base of coconut milk, cashews, dates and vanilla. The mixture is cooked a bit to thicken. This thickened custard freezes well without getting icy or too hard. Slice these decadent sandwiches to smaller pieces! Add other flavors to the ice cream such as some cocoz powder for chocolate, add some nut butter swirl, chocolate chips, some portion of the cookie dough, candied ginger or fruit, berry compote etc.
Ingredients for these Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches and substitution options
- Oat flour (use certified gluten-free if needed), almond flour, coconut sugar/other sugar, cinnamon make the dry mix for the cookie dough. You can use more oat flour to keep the cookie dough nutfree.
- Maple syrup, some coconut milk and vanilla extract are the wet ingredients to bring it together into a dough.
- For the ice cream mixture, coconut milk, cashews, dates, and some oat flour is blended and cooked to thicken. Cashews do add a lot more creamyness to the ice cream so that it doesnt get very hard or icy when frozen.
- To substitute the cashews, use 1/3 cup or more cocoa butter to make it nutfree
- Oat flour can be subbed with regular all purpose flour. The flours are used raw(uncooked). You can toast the flour lightly on a skillet over low heat for 5 to 7 mins to lightly cook it if needed. Cool completely before using.
Assemble the ingredients. Soak the dates, then blend with the rest of the ingredients. Add to a saucepan to cook for a few minutes to thicken.
Mix the dry ingredients with the wet for the cookie dough and make a soft dough. Divide the dough into 2 and flatten and shape into 9 by 5 pan size. Press one into a lined pan.
Then add the thickened ice cream mixture. Freeze for a few hours, then place the other cookie dough on top. Cover with parchment and freeze for a few hours. Remove from pan, slice, let sit for 5 mins then serve.
More Ice Creams and Frozen Desserts
- Carrot Cake Ice cream
- Tiramisu Ice Cream Fudge Bars
- Mango Ice Cream
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Freezer Pie
- Peanut butter Chocolate Pops
- Kulfi – Cashew Saffron Popsicles
Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
Cookie Dough Layer:
- 2 cups (240 g) oat flour, use certified gf if needed , or use regular flour
- 1/4 cup (28 g) almond flour , or use more oat flour for nutfree
- 1/4 cup (40 g) coconut sugar or other medium fine sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (107.33 g) maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/3 cup (60 g) mini chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
Vanilla Ice cream filling
- 8 dates , soaked in hot water for 30 mins
- 1/3 cup (43 g) cashews , soaked in hot water for 30 mins
- 13.5 oz (382.72 ml) coconut milk (full fat can)
- 2 Tbsp oat flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
- pinch of salt
- Mix the oat flour, almond flour, salt, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the vanilla, maple syrup and coconut milk and mix in. Press and mix. Add the chocolate chips and mix in or knead lightly to make a soft dough. Divide into 2. Press one portion into parchment lined loaf pan. (9 by 5 in pan), freeze for half an hour or longer. Shape the other portion of the cookie dough to about the size of the loaf pan and keep in the fridge.
- Drain the dates and cashews. Blend with the rest of the ice cream filling ingredients until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and cook stirring occasionally until boiling and thickened to a thin custard. Cool to room temperature. Remove pan from the freezer and add the ice cream filling.into the loaf pan. Even it out. Freeze for a few hours.
- Once frozen, place the remaining shaped cookie dough on top and press to all edges and even it out. Cover with parchment and freeze for an hour or so. Remove from the freezer and let sit for 5 mins before slicing and serving. You can add additional melted chocolate drizzle on top.