These Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches use a quick oat flour cookie dough with coconut milk vanilla ice cream base all homemade. No Baking, no ice cream machine needed. Glutenfree Soyfree Recipe. Nutfree option Jump to Recipe
Its getting hot out here and tubs of ice creams are disappearing from the freezer. Thankfully we have many locations of amazing plant based ice cream shops. I do make some frozen treats every once in a while, see list above the recipe. I don’t have an ice cream maker, so I always try to make ice cream that will work well without. This coconut vanilla ice cream stays creamy and delicious.
These cookie dough ice cream sandwiches have a simple oat flour and maple syrup based cookie dough with chocolate chips mixed in. The ice cream is a base of coconut milk, cashews, dates and vanilla. The mixture is cooked a bit to thicken. This thickened custard freezes well without getting icy or too hard. Slice these decadent sandwiches to smaller pieces! Add other flavors to the ice cream such as some cocoz powder for chocolate, add some nut butter swirl, chocolate chips, some portion of the cookie dough, candied ginger or fruit, berry compote etc.
Ingredients for these Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches and substitution options
- Oat flour (use certified gluten-free if needed), almond flour, coconut sugar/other sugar, cinnamon make the dry mix for the cookie dough. You can use more oat flour to keep the cookie dough nutfree.
- Maple syrup, some coconut milk and vanilla extract are the wet ingredients to bring it together into a dough.
- For the ice cream mixture, coconut milk, cashews, dates, and some oat flour is blended and cooked to thicken. Cashews do add a lot more creamyness to the ice cream so that it doesnt get very hard or icy when frozen.
- To substitute the cashews, use 1/3 cup or more cocoa butter to make it nutfree
- Oat flour can be subbed with regular all purpose flour. The flours are used raw(uncooked). You can toast the flour lightly on a skillet over low heat for 5 to 7 mins to lightly cook it if needed. Cool completely before using.
Assemble the ingredients. Soak the dates, then blend with the rest of the ingredients. Add to a saucepan to cook for a few minutes to thicken.
Mix the dry ingredients with the wet for the cookie dough and make a soft dough. Divide the dough into 2 and flatten and shape into 9 by 5 pan size. Press one into a lined pan.
Then add the thickened ice cream mixture. Freeze for a few hours, then place the other cookie dough on top. Cover with parchment and freeze for a few hours. Remove from pan, slice, let sit for 5 mins then serve.
More Ice Creams and Frozen Desserts
- Carrot Cake Ice cream
- Tiramisu Ice Cream Fudge Bars
- Mango Ice Cream
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Freezer Pie
- Peanut butter Chocolate Pops
- Kulfi – Cashew Saffron Popsicles
Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches
Cookie Dough Layer:
- 2 cups (240 g) oat flour, use certified gf if needed , or use regular flour
- 1/4 cup (28 g) almond flour , or use more oat flour for nutfree
- 1/4 cup (40 g) coconut sugar or other medium fine sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup (107.33 g) maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1/3 cup (60 g) mini chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
Vanilla Ice cream filling
- 8 dates , soaked in hot water for 30 mins
- 1/3 cup (43 g) cashews , soaked in hot water for 30 mins
- 13.5 oz (382.72 ml) coconut milk (full fat can)
- 2 Tbsp oat flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp maple syrup or sugar
- pinch of salt
- Mix the oat flour, almond flour, salt, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl.
- Add the vanilla, maple syrup and coconut milk and mix in. Press and mix. Add the chocolate chips and mix in or knead lightly to make a soft dough. Divide into 2. Press one portion into parchment lined loaf pan. (9 by 5 in pan), freeze for half an hour or longer. Shape the other portion of the cookie dough to about the size of the loaf pan and keep in the fridge.
- Drain the dates and cashews. Blend with the rest of the ice cream filling ingredients until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and cook stirring occasionally until boiling and thickened to a thin custard. Cool to room temperature. Remove pan from the freezer and add the ice cream filling.into the loaf pan. Even it out. Freeze for a few hours.
- Once frozen, place the remaining shaped cookie dough on top and press to all edges and even it out. Cover with parchment and freeze for an hour or so. Remove from the freezer and let sit for 5 mins before slicing and serving. You can add additional melted chocolate drizzle on top.
I’ve made this twice and it’s so good, super easy and very quick (if not counting the freezing time). The cookie dough can be a little sticky to work with, but nothing a little sprinkle of oat flour can’t fix. The cookie dough layers with the added cinnamon really are fantastic! Also, there isn’t a strong coconut flavor to the ice cream base even though it uses a full can of coconut milk. Love that you don’t need an ice cream maker for this.
Awesome! Yes it isn’t coconutty at all! Yes add a bit more flour. The flour brand and maple etc affect the moisture slightly
I saw this recipe and thought it would be a great addition to my birthday meal. Looks so yummy!! What about making the ice cream into a chocolate instead? How much cocoa would you recommend? Would you change anything else in that layer? Definitely looking forward to making this soon!
Vegan Richa Support
do you mean a chocolate cake?
Not a cake. Just changing the vanilla ice cream filling into chocolate ice cream filling. Think it would be possible?
I was unsure about the dough as it isn’t a baked one. But all the ingredients make it taste great! I was going to sub almond cooking milk for coconut milk so I added some cocoa butter to the cashews to make it about 60g which I shouldn’t have done as I wound up using coconut milk anyway. Lots of fat, but it tasted great. I served to carnivores and dairy intolerant at a cookout (;>) when meeting our son’s girlfriend. Everyone said it tasted great! I’d prefer traditional cookie ice cream sandwiches for the texture and how it holds up in your hand, however.
Hi, these were really tasty and soooooo rich!!
I used a block of silken tofu in place of the coconut milk. I used wheat flour in the cookie dough portion. I didn’t have to use flour in the ice cream part, and since I have an ice cream maker, I skipped the stovetop step of the recipe. I just blended all the ice cream ingredients in my food processor and put it in the ice cream maker for about 10 minutes, which was just enough time to make the cookie dough. Everything came together well. I would imagine those people who are used to traditional rich desserts would really like this as well. It’d be a good recipe to pull out if I were expecting guests… if I ever can expect to have guests again, lol.
My hubby, who loves desserts, really enjoyed this one.
Thank you for the recipe.
hi! do you think the ice cream texture will change a lot if i dont use the dates?
It will have a bit less volume that’s all
What could I use instead of dates please?
Vegan Richa Support
raisins would work well.
Hi! This looks absolutely delicious, I’m so excited to try it. I am allergic to maple syrup so I was wondering if I could substitute it with honey or agave?
Yum!! This ice cream looks amazing, but I’m allergic to cashew and dates. I haven’t been able to find cocoa butter in stores, but do you think it would worked if I subbed another either another nut butter (peanut or almond) or coconut oil for the cashews? And for the dates, can I use maple syrup, or do the dates add to the texture too?
Thanks!! Was looking for a no churn ice cream that doesn’t turn rock solid once frozen!
yes use almond butter + coconut cream + a bit of coconut oil. blend and cook to thicken abit , taste and adjust and freeze
Yum, thank your so much!! I love that your recipes always have alternatives to accommodate allergies 😊
For a nut free alternative, could we substitute banana nice cream? If so, what quantity would I need?
banana ice cream will get very icy. you can probably do a mix of bananas and coconut cream.
I was wondering if you could substitute a banana based ice cream instead of the cashew/date ice cream? If so, what amount of nice cream should be used (in cups)?
So easy and absolutely delicious. My non-vegan friends were very impressed!
Is there anything I could use instead of coconut milk (as I’m intolerant to coconut)?
Use more cashews and almond milk or other non dairy milk
PS: I made my own oat “flour” in the food processor and left the oats in tiny pieces so my crusts were slightly like granola…a bit chewy. And left off the chocolate chips too.
Definitely worth the time to make, a luxurious creamy dessert. I cut my bars smaller so had 12 and we thought they were just the right size. They’ve lasted well in the freezer; I take them out about 30 min before eating.
Hi te Richa, I’ve been a big follwer of your recipes since a couples of years now. Let’s just say that I love every one of them, and they are right up my alley, easy, nutritious and delicious!
I just would like to know if is possible to swap the cashews for some tofu or aquafaba or even some flaxmeal ?
I don’t have a blender or a stand mixer, right now. Currently in a hotel, it’s freaking hot everywhere and vegan options in supermarkets are money :s at least or my case…
i suggested cocoa butter in the notes for cashew sub. you can also use some silken tofu and additional coconut cream. Silken tofu will not need a blender. Just mix it really well. Dont use too much though as the tofu flavor will show up.
Thank you so much! Love the blog!
I am curious, why cook the flour? What does that do? Can’t wait to try this recipe!
sometimes flours (all purpose or wheat flours that are produced in bulk) can be contaminated with bacteria or other things because of shared equipment, so cooking them helps eliminate them.
This looks so good, I’ve already bought all the ingredients to try it 😁
Can I make a few days in advance and keep it frozen until I want to serve it?
yes you an keepit frozen for upto a month.
Awesome, thank you so much!
Sarah | Well and Full
These ice cream sandwiches look like the perfect summer treat! 🙂
Thanks Sarah! they definitely are such a treat!
Is there anything I can use instead of dates in the ice cream filling? They are hard to find and extremely expensive where I live. Thanks!!
use regular sugar. Add some and blend and taste and add more to preference
Would dry roasting the oat flour for a few minutes be sufficient to cook it enough?
yes. I usually dry roast regular flour as that can tend to sometimes have contamination from bacteria during processing. Oat flour usually is fine. You can also make your own oat flour by putting oats in a blender and blend until a fine meal and that. The blending process heats up the oats a bit as well. People eat oats as is, just soaked without cooking, so those oats are good to make into flour as consume as raw cookie dough
danielle!!! I knew it was you!