22 Baked Popcorn Okra. Okra / Bhindi coated in chickpea flour batter, tossed in spiced breadcrumbs and baked until crunchy crisp. Vegan Recipe, can be gluten-free and oil-free. Pin this Recipe.
You know what tastes amazing breaded and crisped. I think everything! Lets bread some okra today.
Chop up some okra in bite size pieces. Make a batter of chickpea flour and water or use other flour of choice. Make the breading with chipotle pepper, cumin, nutritional yeast or use other blends like cajun, garam masala, southern fried spice or blackening spice blend. Dip the okra in the batter, remove using a slotted spoon, coat in breadcrumb mixture and bake. Done! I think I just might start to like okra when all crisped up this way. I think green beans might be fun to bread too. Have you tried breading brussels sprouts?
More okra and some breaded recipes from the blog
- Okra in tamarind coconut sauce
- Bhindi Zunka – Okra crusted with chickpea flour and spices.
- Okra and Onion Stir fry
- Breaded Tofu Strips
- Crispy spicy Cauliflower.
Prepare your breading station. Make the chickpea batter. in another bowl, mix the breadcrumbs and spices.
Toss in chickpea batter then toss in breadcrumb mixture.
Place on baking sheet and bake until crisp.
Cool slightly and serve with ketchup, chutneys, ranch or other sauce of choice.
Baked Popcorn Okra
- 1.5 to 2 cups (150 to 200 g) chopped okra
- 1/3 cup (40 g) chickpea flour you might need an additional tbsp if using besan
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 cup (108 g) breadcrumbs use gf breadcrumbs or cornmeal to make glunte-free
- 1.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) chipotle pepper powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) paprika
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) turmeric optional
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) oregano
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- Chop the okra. In a bowl mix the batter ingredients. It should be the consistency of thick buttermilk. Add a few tsp more water or flour if needed.
- In another bowl, mix all the breading ingredients well. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F / 220ºc.
- Add chopped okra, a half cup at a time into the batter bowl, remove using slotted spoon, tap to drop the excess batter, Transfer to breading bowl. Move the pieces around to coat, transfer to baking sheet. I put a lid on the breading bowl and move it around. This works if you ensure that there is not too much excess batter on the okra pieces. Repeat for all the okra.
- Spray oil on the breaded okra(optional). Bake at 425 degrees F / 220ºc for 20 to 23 minutes or until golden.Serve warm with chutneys, ketchup or sauces of choice! or add to salads or dal bowls.