More new cookbooks out this year! This beautiful book is self published by Michelle Blackwood who is as sweet as can be.
In Healthier Steps: 125 Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes Michelle has over 125 delicious recipes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They are plant based, and free of wheat, rye, barley, milk, cheese, butter, eggs, gums, or refined sugars.
The Chapters include Breakfasts, Beverages, Sides, Soups, Main meals, Desserts, Dips and sauces. The book also has suggestions with the recipes on how to make them without oil.
What I like about the book is that her Jamaican roots make the food very flavorful. Keep an eye for some Jamaica classics in the book! More about Michelle and her blog here.
Try her pulled jackfruit sandwich, Jamaican dumplings, brown rice pelau, artichoke spinach lasagna, black bean quinoa burrito bowl, chickpeas and dumplings, lentil tacos, brown bread, Victoria sponge cake, coconut lime berry tarts, and various salads, soups, smoothies and juices.
I made her carob muffins. With gluten-free baking I am generally nervous as the recipes can be a hit or a miss and and with all the almond meal in the muffins, I really wanted them to turn out well. And they did! Fabulously moist and not too sweet and perfect treat.
tThe mufins use rice flour and almond meal and can be whipped together in 10 minutes. I used white rice flour because brown rice flour has a way of getting onto to my taste buds and yelling hey I am brown rice flour out here. bitterish and earthy 😛 .
I made her bbq Tofu because it was calling out my name over the weekend. I also love the story of how the bbq tofu came about. This delicious Tofu would make great sandwiches.
Enter the giveaway at the end of the post for a print copy within US and one digital version for International!
Barbecue Tofu from Healthier Steps
- 1 pound (453.59 g) extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- ¼ cup (60 g) creamy peanut butter or tahini paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes optional
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) sea salt
- Pinch cumin
- Barbecue Sauce
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup (40 g) minced onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 28 ounces (793.79 g) tomato puree or sauce
- ¼ cup (2.84 oz) maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons Bragg’s liquid aminos or coconut aminos
- ¼ teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) sesame oil optional
- Sea salt to taste
- For barbecue sauce: In a medium saucepan, heat oil or water on medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce, maple syrup, coconut palm sugar, molasses, parsley, Bragg’s liquid aminos, sesame oil and sea salt to taste. Reduce heat to simmer for 15–20 minutes, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened.
- For Tofu: Preheat oven 400ºF/200ºC. Drain water from tofu and squeezed excess water out between paper towels or a clean dishcloth. Cut tofu in long strips and set aside. Combine batter in a bowl and mix well. Coat individual tofu strips with batter mix and place on an oiled 9x13 casserole dish. Bake tofu for 20 minutes, or until tofu is golden brown.
- Evenly coat tofu with barbecue sauce and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Chef’s Tip: Unsulphured molasses can be used as substitute for pomegranate molasses
Please enter the giveaway below. Michelle is giving away 2 copies of her beautiful book. One print copy to a reader within US , and one digital copy to International. Giveaway is over.
Really appreciate the way you took the time to describe everything in detail which helped me lots. Looking forward to more of these informative articles in the future too.
Vegan Richa Support
rice-based lasagna with tofu ricotta
I have been a Vegan for so long that I hardly believe that it has been 22 years! In between I was Raw-Vegan for 10 full years and recently, I’m back to cooked foods with a combo of Vegan-Gluten-free and Raw. Ideas galore and with this book, I can go further!
curried butternut squash soup
My fave vegan gluten-free meal is eggplant curry and brown rice.
Brown rice, stir fried veggies and tofu marinated in soy sauce is my favourite at the moment.
Zoodles with cashew cream sauce is my current favorite.
Current fave: GF pasta with a few carrots and other veggies thrown into the cooking water, then tossed with a jarred sauce I’ve doctored and still more veggies.