Beetroot Paratha – Beet flatbread Stuffed with Split Peas. Easy Pink flatbread stuffed with spiced split peas or chickpeas. Beet Puree + Aquafaba + flour make the flatbread. Vegan Yeast-free flatbread Recipe. Pin this post.
Stuffed Parathas used to be a favorite breakfast and snack option while growing up. Now they are a treat made for light dinner or premade for snacking or travelling. I applaud all Indian Moms, rolling out stuffed flatbreads for morning breakfast, plain flatbreads for lunch and for dinner, almost every day.
Just like the Broccoli Chickpea Parathas, these flatbreads are super easy. Blend some cooked beet to a puree, add to dry ingredients, knead into a dough and set aside. Choose your filling of choice, add spices and mash everything well. roll out the dough into flabreads, place filling in the center, seal, roll, cook and serve these Beetroot Parathas with pickle, curries or dip! To make these gluten-free, use this recipe Sweet Potato gluten-free flatbread with beet puree. The flatbreads can be frozen uncooked or pre-cooked.
Stuff the flatbread with any veggies or beans mixed with spices!
More flatbreads from the blog
- Herb Garlic Flatbread – Yeast-free.
- Spinach flatbread – Palak Paratha or Spinach Tortillas. Yeast-free
- Pita Bread – Yeasted
- Pumpkin rosemary flatbread – Yeast-free
- Sweet Potato gluten-free flatbread. Chickpea flour base. yeast-free. GF
- Naan – Yeasted
Make your dough and let it sit for a few minutes.
Prepare your filling and set aside.
Divide the dough into balls and roll each out. Place a ball of filling in the center. Bring the edges of the flatbread together in the center and seal like a dumpling. roll it out evenly.
Cook until golden on both sides. Serve hot with Indian mango pickle or with dips of choice.
Beetroot Paratha - Beet flatbread Stuffed with Split Peas
- 1 cup (120 g) whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup (62.5 g) unbleached white flour or all purpose flour
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp flax seed meal
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garam masala or cumin
- 3/4 cup (102 g) cooked beets I used canned beetroot
- 1/3 cup (78.67 ml) aquafaba - chickpea brine or use non dairy milk
- 1.5 cups (294 g) cooked split peas chana dal or chickpeas
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cayenne
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garam masala or taco spice or other spice blend
- 2 to 3 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- In bowl mix the flours, oil, flax and salt. Blend the beets with aquafaba until smooth and add to the bowl. Mix and knead using your hands till the dough just comes togehter. Use a few tsp more flour if too sticky or water if too dry. Cover and let sit for 10 to 15 mins.
- Mash the split peas or chickpeas in a processor or using a potato masher. Add spices of choice and mix in. Divide the filling into 8 to 9 equal portions and press lightly into a ball. Crumbly ball is ok,
- Divide the dough into 8 to 9 balls. Roll out each ball using some flour into a 5+ inch somewhat circle.
- Place a filling ball in the center of the the rolled out flatbread. Fold the flatbread over the ball and press to seal (like a dumpling). Dust with flour and roll lightly to a 6 to 7 inch size.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. When the skillet is hot. Place a stuffed flatbread on the skillet. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side for 1-2 minutes. Spray or brush a little oil and continue to cook until both sides have brown spots. Repeat for all the stuffed flatbreads.
- Serve these brushed with vegan butter, with vegan raita, or Indian pickle, or ketchup, sriracha, sauces of choice, or with a dip,or as a side with curries, dals, lentil soups.
Roll out the stuffed flatbreads and freeze between parchment for upto 2 months. Cook on a skillet directly from freezer.
Or Pre-cook until some golden spots, then freeze for up to 2 months. Cook on the skillet directly from the freezer. Nutritional information based on one serving
Can this be made gluten free?
Yes use my gluten free cauliflower bread dough, replace cauliflower purée with cooked beet purée.
Hi dear Richa
Love the parathas will make them but can you teach us about the mango pickle achaar I saw in the pic.
I want to learn how to make, I can make other achaar but not the mango pickle
Vegan Richa Support
thanks Rani – I love these ones fron amazon. https://amzn.to/1ZMFqk3 or ‘pickled veggies’ here Curried Tofu Banh Mi Vegan Recipe
Can I use spelt flour in place of whole wheat flour? Also, what is the equipment called that you use to roll out the dough? Thank you!
Am I correct in assuming the garlic in the filling is garlic powder not fresh garlic?
I did tonight and it was sooo good! And not complicated at all!
Thank you, I love your recipes!
Is there a gf option for these pls? Yum!
see this for GF flatbread – https://www.veganricha.com/2015/10/yeast-free-sweet-potato-vegan-gluten-free-flatbread.html
Wow, these look so good. If you ever get around to doing a video tutorial of these, that’d be amazing, cause they seem complicated! 😛
Oh my gosh those look gorgeous! And delicious!
Do you think I could use steamed butternut squash instead of beetroot? I love the pink color, but I don’t have any beets in the house.
sure, use any pureed or mashed veggie. You might need a bit more or less flour depending on the overall moisture content. Make a soft dough and proceed.
But what’s that side condiment? It all looks delicious!
its Indian mango pickle. here are few available on amazon. https://amzn.to/1ZMFqk3
This beetroot flatbread looks amazing! I love the color that pops out!
Making these tonight!
Wow this looks aboslutely amazing!!!!
Izzy | https://plantbasedizzy.wordpress.com/