Aloo Pyaaz and Bhaji with Roti/Chapati (spiced potato onion vegetable stew with Indian bread). So delicious served as a main course. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
Aloo Pyaaz (Spiced Potato Onions)
- 2 medium (2 ) organic potatoes chopped
- 2/3 medium (0.67 ) organic red onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 1 green chili chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) coriander seeds (the red onions and coriander seeds work magic for this dish)
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon organic canola oil
- In a medium deep pan, and add the oil and heat on medium heat for a minute.
- Add in the mustard and coriander seeds and let them cook for a few seconds.
- Add in the ginger, garlic and chili and cook for a minute.
- Add in the onions, turmeric and a little salt and cook for 3-4 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add in the potatoes, some more salt and mix well. Cover and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5-6 minutes, until potatoes are well done.
Bhaji (Vegetable Stew/mixed vegetable curry)
- 1/2 cup (105 g) potato chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) cauliflower chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup (27 g) of chopped carrots green beans and any other veggetable peas, broccoli, corn etc
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 2 teaspoon garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) Serrano chili pepper (or to taste) chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) pav bhaji masala powder (can be found in Indian store)
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric powder
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- a cup of water
- 2/3 teaspoon (0.67 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) raw sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- In a medium deep pan, add a teaspoon oil and heat on medium low heat for a minute.
- Add in the asofetida, coriander seeds and mix and cook for a few seconds.
- Add in the turmeric, pav bhaji masala, garlic, ginger and chili and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes, salt and sugar and cook on medium low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in the chopped veggies, a cup of water, and cook for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are well done.
- Serve hot! .
- Variations: Mash the veggies a little once done, top with chopped onions, lemon juice, a teaspoon of vegan butter and cilantro leaves, and serve with toasted buns, dinner rolls, bread, pita bread!
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving