Oatmeal chocolate chip gluten free cookies with a secret ingredient. Vegan recipe. Jump to Recipe
First, Thank you all for all the support! I crossed 700 likes on my facebook page! yay. thank you for all the love to the Tiramisu pancakes.. which came about out of the happy memories of some happy events, celebrated with decadent Tiramisu in my prevegan days. I could make the whole dessert vegan too, but this came about as a quicker, and healthier idea! yay for some special breakfast!
I had to start experimenting with gluten free desert baking some day.. I made a gf quick bread, which was decent.. with breads and cakes you have to get a hang of the ratios, the new types of flours, xanthan or guar gum and such. Cookies are a bit simpler, they do not necessarily need binding gum.
These cookies came out fabulous! and dont taste much different than the regular oatmeal and wheat flour cookies! I added some puffed rice/rice krispies to the cookies to make them a bit more porous and crunchy. Brilliant idea… dont u think. You can tweak the recipe to make your own! and I hope you all like it.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Gluten Free Cookies (with a secret ingredient)
Oatmeal chocolate chip gluten free cookies with a secret ingredient. Vegan recipe.
Servings: 8 -10 cookies
- 2/3 cup (54 g) old fashioned oats ground.
- 1/3 cup (27 g) oats
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) guar gum (optional. I’ve made these without the gum and they comes out fine)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (7 g) puffed rice (murmura in hindi. cheap at an indian store)
- 1/2 cup (90 g) vegan chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon organic canola oil
- 2 tablespoons agave
- 3 Tablespoons raw sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon (0.13 teaspoon) salt
- 1 tablespoon flaxmeal
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) pumpkin pie spice or other spices of choice
- In a bowl, mix the flaxmeal in 2 Tablespoons hot water and keep for 2 minutes.
- Add in 2 tablespoons hot water, coconut oil and canola oil and mix so the coconut oil melts a bit. (or melt the coconut oil separately and add)
- Add in the sugar, agave, spices, salt and lemon juice and mix well for 2 minutes using hand or electric mixer( I dont use the electric one, since the mixture doesnt need much fluffing up)
- Grind the 2/3 cup oats along with baking powder and guar gum, or use 1/2 cup oat flour and mix in the baking powder and guar gum powder. Add to wet mix.
- Coarsely grind the puffed rice/rice krispies, with just a few pulses to break the rice into smaller pieces. Add this to wet mix as well.
- Add the whole oats and chocolate chips and mix well to combine.
- Drop spoonfulls on parchment lined baking sheet. press down with oiled hand or spoon and shape a bit.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees F oven for 12-14 minutes. Cool on rack and enjoy!
Nutritional value is based on 1 serving
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Gluten Free Cookies (with a secret ingredient)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 184 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 5g31%
Vitamin C 0.2mg0%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
These cookie are headed to Hearth and soul blog hop and Simply sugar and gluten free’s Slightly indulgent tuesdays. and Ricki’s wellness weekend, and gf edible holiday gifts
On another note, please do send a prayer our way.. this week has been a taxing one with young and fit near and dear ones falling under the c word.. now on their long road to recovery.
These cookies look so good!! But I don’t have puffed rice..can I make it at home? thank you.
Hi, sorry the comment went to spam. You can replace the puffed with more oats. Puffed rice or rice krispies cannot be made at home unfortunately.
We just made these! so delicious!
Thanks ella.. i am glad you liked these cookies to add to your round up!
Hi, I loved this recipe so much I included it in my recipe roundup today 😉
I hope you don’t mind. xo
Thanks Danielle.. let me know if you all liked them:)
Thanks Ricki.. i have tons of puffed rice to use up. thanks you for the warm wishes.. things are going towards a positive direction.. and they should continue that way.
These look amazing! My kids agree, so we shall bake them tomorrow, I think I have everything 🙂
Nice oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Love your secret ingredient. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.
I daresay these will be my weekend cookie this week! They look fantastic, and a great way for me to use that puffed rice! 😉
Thanks for submitting to WW this week. I’ll send wishes for good energy your way–so sorry to hear about the illnesses.
Thank you Kankana, nisrine and Jb.. hope you all like these healthy cookiees!
My oh my, these cookies look divine! I can’t resist a good oatmeal chocolate chip cookie!
Your cookies sound and look wonderful. Great that they’re made with such healthy ingredients.
Sunshine And Smile
the combination of oatmeal with chocolate in cookies is one of my fav. I had once made with white chocolate. Should try your version too!
Thanks Yuri and Junia. Junia, i am trying to use as less processed as possible. #cleaneating!
Thanks Hannah. i hope you like these!
Thank you Aarthi.
Thanks Susmitha and Raji. murmura worked so well with the cookies. made them a bit light.
Thank you Raji for the warm wishes. all thoughts and prayers do help.
Thank you Caitlin. yes the puffed rice makes the cookies lighter and chewier. its fun. Thank you for the warm wishes.
Thank you for the wishes Cara. cooking and blogging is keeping me distracted, else i would be a bunch of nerves.
Wowie..these cookies look so great. Adding of murmura is a great idea. Our prayers are with your dear ones Richa.
Areee wah! Murmura cookies. How yummy!! 🙂
delicious dear…You have made this perfectly..Will surely give it a try..
Do visit my blog too
Awesome, I love having treats that everyone can enjoy! It’s always nice to add a solid gluten-free cookie to my arsenal of recipes- Thanks for sharing. 🙂
oatmeal chocolate chip are my favorite cookies!!! puffed rice sounds awesome! love how there is no butter here…:)
Yuri - Chef Pandita
Love the idea of adding puffed rice to the cookie dough. They look amazing 🙂
Oh Richa, you better believe prayers are being sent your way!! I’m so sorry to hear of this–sometimes it just feels so unfair with news like this. Sending out all my love, best wishes, and good thoughts… xoxo
P.S. On a side note: those cookies really do look amazing! 🙂
richa- i love these cookies! the addition of puffed rice makes so much sense and i’m sure adds a great texture.
i’ll be thinking of your near and dear <3 here’s to hoping for the best 😉
Thank you Torview.
Thanks you for the wishes EA.
Thank you CraftyEarthMama!
Thanks Gigi.. i saw a couple of gf cookies and decided to try my version!
Thanks for the wishes Jess. Things are getting better already.. hoping that they continue on the positive path.
Fabulous cookies, and prayers sent your way!
delicious looking cookies and presentation
your cookies look like they turned out really well, gf and all!
and i’m sorry to hear that the past few days have been a difficult few… sending warm wishes of wellness & happiness to you and yours. xo.
Now you’ll just be a gluten for punishment. Yuk Yuk! Great cookies and from an experiment no less. Big congrats on 700 likes!!! Well deserved. Yay!
These look yummy and I love the ingredients!