A fresh and zesty flax Seed bread made with orange and apple. So delicious and easy to make at home. Vegan Recipe.Jump to Recipe
I wanted to make an Orange Bread with some nice freshly zested orange peel and flax seed, but I dint have an orange handy to peel. So I used some Orange marmalade with tons of peel instead. I also added the left over Apple from the previous bread and some molasses and brown sugar. This bread has a tangy taste to it and the hint of molasses and apple come out when toasted!
Orange Apple Flaxseed Bread
- 3-4 cup (380-410 g) bread flour
- 1 cup (130 g) whole wheat flour
- 1.5 teaspoon quick rise yeast and .5 teaspoon regular yeast
- 1/2 (0.5) medium apple pureed
- 2 Tablespoons Orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons flax seed crushed slightly
- 2 Tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon vegan butter
- oil for greasing
- 2/3 cup (165 ml) water
- Warm the water and add yeast to it. Let sit for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Puree the apple with little water, sugar and molasses.
- Grease the mixer bowl and add 3 cups (390g) bread flour, 1 cup (130g) whole wheat flour, salt, flax seed and mix well.
- Add in the yeast mixture, marmalade, softened butter and lime juice and knead for 10-12 minutes( 2-3 minute batches with occasional scraping)
- Add more water or flour if needed. The apple will make the dougg more moist with time, so try to keep the dough a little on the dry side.
- Place dough in well oiled container covered for 1.5 hours.
- Punch it down and knead for a minute. Shape dough into a loaf by pulling on all sides and tucking under.
- Place in bread pan, cover with kitchen towe and let rise for another 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until nice a brown and sounds hollow.
- Bread will have a nice dark crumb, which will be a bit hard right out of the oven, but will soften as the bread cools. Slice after the loaf has cooled completely.
- I usually keep the cool bread in the refrigerator for an hour before slicing to get nice and clean slices. I also store all the fruit breads in the refrigerator and consume within 4-5 days.
- Nutritional value is based on 1 serving
- Total time does not include 2 hours proving time.