Tempeh Cauliflower Butternut in Teriyaki Sauce. This teriyaki sauce is date sweetened and works amazingly with butternut squash and vegetables. Vegan Gluten-free Recipe
Today’s meal is filled with protein, veggies and squash. Tempeh Cauliflower Butternut in Teriyaki Sauce. This teriyaki sauce is date sweetened instead of the cups of sugar and works amazingly with butternut squash and vegetables. Use other squash, sweet potato, or mango. Use tofu or chickpeas or just other veggies instead of Tempeh. Depending on the dates, you might or might not need additional sweet.
Steam the Tempeh. Roast or steam the veggies and squash till just about done. Heat up in the sauce till it thickens and Serve hot with grains of choice. For a no-dates, sugar based Teriyaki sauce see this Teriyaki Tempeh and Shiitake mushrooms .
More Asian options from the blog
- Massaman Curry Veggies GF
- Sweet and Sour chickpeas, broccoli and peppers. GF
- Celery Black Pepper tofu GF
- Kung Pao Lentils GF
- Lentils & Veggies in Thai Peanut Sauce GF
- Crispy Orange Cauliflower. GF
Reading for the day- Hooked on dairy cheese? Here is why.
Serve over cooked rice/brown rice/grains of choice.
Tempeh Cauliflower Butternut in Teriyaki Sauce - Date Sweetened
Save This Recipe in Your Inbox
Share your email and we will send this recipe! Plus, enjoy all the new recipes as they post!
By submitting this form, you consent to receive emails from Vegan Richa.
- 9 large medjool dates soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup (63.75 ml) low sodium soy sauce
- 3/4 cup (176.25 ml) water or veggie broth
- 2 tsp or more rice vinegar
- 1 tsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) onion powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) or more cayenne
- 1 tsp or more grated ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp or more maple or coconut sugar if needed
For the Veggies:
- 8 oz (226.8 g) tempeh cubed and steamed, or use Tofu
- 1/2 (0.5) head of a small cauliflower chopped into small florets or use broccoli
- 1 loaded cup chopped butternut squash or other squash
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish
- Soak the dates if you haven't. Steam the tempeh for 10 minutes or boil for 10 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F / 220ºc. Chop up the squash and cauliflower. Spray oil on the veggies, place on parchment and bake at 425 degrees F / 220ºc for 15 to 20 minutes or al dente. Or you can steam the veggies, or boil with the tempeh until just about done.
- Drain the dates and blend with the other sauce ingredients until smooth. Pour the sauce into a skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh, roasted cauliflower and butternut squash. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the sauce comes to a good boil. Carefully Taste and adjust sweet and salt in the sauce. If the sauce is not sweet enough, add maple or coconut sugar or other sweetener. Continue to simmer over low heat for a few minutes or until the vegetables are done to preference and the sauce has thickened. Take off heat and let it sit for 5 minutes before serving. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Serve over rice/ grains of choice with a garnish of toasted sesame seeds and green onions.