Delicious apple fritters (fries). Apple covered in some thick and spicy Chickpea batter and fried to a crisp golden brown. Vegan Recipe. Jump to Recipe
I was going to post these fritters sometime later this week.. But realized that the Vegan Mofo(Month of food) Iron Chef Chickpea Challenge is open only till tomorrow! So as well put the post up.. Mofo Post 8!. Apple Chickpea flour Fritters/Fries! Who needs any potato fries anymore!
Apple covered in some thick and spicy Chickpea batter and fried to a crisp golden brown. Also pictured above are some broccoli florets fried in the same batter.
I made some Chilla for breakfast too today, but no pictures. Chilla is a thick Chickpea batter crepe, which can be made thicker to sub as an omelette or thinner like a crisp crepe,.. spiced up with indian spices and scallions, onions, bell peppers, cilantro, tomato and other veggies can be added. I will hopefully take pictures and put a post up later in the month. These apple fries are deep fried, so I have to try a baked version sometimes to make them healthier!
Delicious apple fritters (fries). Apple covered in some thick and spicy Chickpea batter and fried to a crisp golden brown. Vegan Recipe.
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 Tablespoon of chickpea flour (garbanzo bean flour/besan)
- 1 Tablespoon oats (omit this if you dont have glutenfree oats)
- 1 Tablespoon rice flour
- 2/3 teaspoon (0.67 teaspoon) salt or to taste
- pinch of turmeric
- pinch of asofetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) chili flakes or to taste or 1 green chili
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) carom seeds (Ajwain)
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) piece of ginger
- 3-4 (3 ) mint leaves or cilantro leaves
- 4-5 Tablespoons (4 Tablespoons) water
- 1 apple chopped into long slices/fries
- Oil for frying
- In a blender combine all ingredients except apples and oil to fry.
- Blend into a thick pasty puree/batter( adjust water and chickpea flour to get the thick consistency, water needed will depend on the flours used). For a simpler batter, just mix chickpea flour, 1/2 tsp garam masala powder, salt and pepper, or use your favorite onion fritter batter.
- Drop apple slices into the batter and mix well to coat.
- Fry in medium-high hot oil for 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally till the batter becomes darker than its color, golden brown.
- Serve hot with ketchup or cilantro Chutney. Top with Chaat masala or rock salt and some red chili powder for added fun. Happy Sunday!
Nutritional value is based on 1 serving
Amount Per Serving
Calories 77 Calories from Fat 9
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 130IU3%
Vitamin C 2.3mg3%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Till then, Have an amazing Sunday!
Month of food(veganmofo) Weekly Round up…In case you missed any of the posts from this week.. 🙂