Vegan Banana French Toast. Vegan French Toast with Caramelized bananas. Banana and non dairy milk make up the french toast batter. Cooked French toast is served with caramelized Bananas, maple and vegan butter. Nut-free Recipe.
This French toast is easy, amazing and delicious breakfast or snack. Hearty Bread is soaked in a batter of banana and nondairy milk, cooked to golden. Sliced banana is caramelized with coconut sugar and served over the warm french toast with maple and seasonal fruit.
You want to use a rustic bread or a stale bread for best results. Regular sandwich bread can get too soggy. Check with a trial slice to see how long to soak the slice for the best results based on your bread and pan. Soak longer if the french toast is overly dry in the middle. Soak for just a second if the bread tends to absorb a lot of the batter and turns out soggy. You can also let the slices air dry for 15 minutes before using.
More breakfast from the blog
- 1 Bowl Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Muffins. GF option
- Carrot Turmeric Chia Muffins
- 1 Bowl Banana Apple Bread. Can be made into muffins
- Tall and Moist Banana Muffins. GF
- Chia Orange Cranberry Muffins
Vegan Banana French Toast with Caramelized Bananas
- 1 loaf day old rustic bread or sourdough sliced
French toast batter:
- 1 small to medium ripe banana
- 1/2 cup (0.5 cup) non dairy milk such as almond milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp flour i use unbleached white
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) nutmeg
- a very good pinch of salt and black pepper
- 2 ripe bananas sliced
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar or vegan brown sugar
- 2 tbsp non dairy milk
- a good pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg
- Blend everything under french toast batter and transfer to a shallow bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil and spread.
- Place bread slice in the batter for 2 seconds, then flip and soak for another 2 seconds. Remove the batter and let the excess fall off for 2 to 3 seconds. Place in the hot skillet.
- Cook for 4 to 6 minutes per side. If your stove runs hot, cook at medium low heat.
- You want to cook the batter really well and caramelize the banana in it but not burn it. If the french toast is not done, the bread will not release from the pan easily. Let it cook another minute or so. Flip and cook the other side.
- Place in a serving plate, Add a helping of the caramelized bananas, some fresh fruit, maple syrup and vegan butter and serve immediately.
- Combine banana slices, sugar and non dairy milk, nutmeg and a pinch of salt in a skillet over medium heat. Cook until the mixture thickens. about 6 minutes. Stir occasionally. Make a double batch of these to serve on the side or over oatmeal.