This Easy Vegan Mac and Cheese Powder is perfect to whip up mac and cheese within minutes when needed. It also makes a great gift! Add flavors and herbs for variations. Soyfree Vegan Mac and Cheese Mix Recipe. Glutenfree Nutfree Option. Jump to Recipe
You know when you need some mac and cheese fix super quickly and without having to think much about what to add when and how much! Or a Creamy Cheese Sauce to dip some veggies, This mix comes in handy!
Just mix or blend with non dairy milk, simmer and done. Add cooked pasta, sauteed veggies or salsa for a dip!
Saute some onion, garlic and veggies such as mushrooms to the cheese sauce for variation. Add some flavors such as chipotle pepper or cajun or garam masala. Play away!
You can use the mix to make a fabulous cheese sauce to dress roasted veggies or bowls or use as a dip! You can also make a casserole with it. Add more herbs of choice. Lots of options!
When the sauce is simmering, you can add additional flavors like some miso, lemon and/or soy sauce. Add some sriracha or chili garlic sauce or Gochujang for variation. Fold in some salsa and taco spice for a fajita style cheese sauce. Perfect to have around while travelling/camping!
If you want to use nuts other than cashews, such as almond, use a 1/3 cup nuts and add 2 tbsp more flour as most other nuts are not as creamy.
Tips to make a smooth cheese sauce
- You want to process or blend the mixture a few times with scraping and mixing in between. Check in between to feel the mixture if it is too gritty with pieces of nuts. Process more until themixture becomes more powdery with just a slight grittyness.
- Blend the mixture with the non dairy milk in a blender so the nuts blend in even more, before adding to the saucepan.
More gifts for the Holidays
Lets make this easy mac mix and gift it out to everyone who loves a good cheese sauce! This recipe is adapted from Miyoko’s Cheese Mix.
Above is scant 1/2 cup chipotle mac mix with non dairy milk. Below is 1/3 cup mac mix with water.
Vegan Mac and Cheese Powder
- 1/2 cup (64.5 g) cashews raw, (see notes for nutfree)
- 1/2 cup (22 g) nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp flour ( all purpose or use oat flour for glutenfree. rice flour will work too, but it adds a slight grittyness)
- 2 tbsp tapioca starch or other starch
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp (2 tsp) salt (2 tsp for saltier or adjust later when you make the sauce)
- 2 to 3 tsp paprika , a mix of smoked and regular or all smoked
- 1/2 to 1 tsp black pepper
To make Mac & Cheese:
- 1 cup (4 oz) mac or other small pasta
- 1 cup (240 ml) non dairy milk or water
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup (6 to 8 tbsp) of mac and cheese powder from above
To make the Powder Mix:
- Process everything in a food processor or blender until powdered. It takes 2-3 mins. Blend/process or a minute, scrape sides and blend again. (Check in between to feel the mixture if it is too gritty with pieces of nuts. Process more until the mixture becomes more powdery with just a slight grittyness.)
- Add other flavor profiles such as chipotle, cajun, garam masala and mix in (optional). See notes for options.
To make mac:
- Cook 1 cup of dry pasta according to instructions on the package in salted water. Drain and set aside.
- Combine 1/3 to 1/2 cup of mix with 1 cup of water or non dairy milk and 2-3 tsp olive oil or vegan butter (optional) in a saucepan or blend and add to saucepan for creamier, and bring to a boil. Add cooked pasta (and optionally sauteed veggies such as mushrooms, broccoli etc) and cook for a min, taste and adjust salt and flavor. (You can add 1 tsp miso or soy sauce and/or lemon juice for additional flavor. Garnish with oregano, pepper flakes if needed.) Cover and let sit for another 2 mins. (For saucier, use 1/2 cup mix. You can add a tbsp more of the powder to the simmering sauce, if it isnt as thick as you like).
- To make cheese sauce to drizzle over roasted veggies or salad or baked potato, blend 1/2 cup mix with 1 cup non dairy milk.Add to a pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few mins to thicken.
- To Store: Store in a glass jar or ceramic airtight container. On the counter away from heat for upto a month. Refrigerate for freshness and longer life.