Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon served over Potato Cauliflower Mash. All Cooked in an Instant Pot together with PIP (pot in pot). Vegan Gluten-free Nut-free Recipe, can be Soy-free Jump to Recipe
One, This is how one should be introduced to mushrooms(so smooth, so delicious!). Two, for some reason I mess up the spelling of bourguignon. Twice I thought I had misplaced the photos and the written recipe post, as search wouldn’t work. Well it didn’t because it was not the correct spelling!
Anywho, this Vegan Bourguignon uses mushrooms and veggies, loads of flavor addition, and 1 Pot. I also steam the potato and cauliflower while the mushrooms cook, Pot in Pot Cooking. It saves time and pots. Mash the steamed veggies, add herbs of choice, some non dairy milk for creamyness and serve. You can cook the potatoes/cauliflower separately if you like and also make this on the stove top. See recipe notes below for Stovetop instructions and times. Lets get cooking!
More Instant Pot Recipes
- IP Mushroom Wild Rice Soup. GF
- IP Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce GF
- Instant Pot Vegan Butter Chickin(soycurls). GF – Creamy, Delicious
- Japanese Veggie Curry. GF
- IP Aloo Gobi GF
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Red lentils. – So Easy
- More Instant Pot Recipes!
Tips to make delicious Vegan Bourguignon
- You want to use less liquid when pressure cooking for a roasting effect on the mushrooms. Much more concentrated flavor. You can add more broth later while simmering after pressure cooking
- It is ok if some of the liquid from the mushrooms comes into the steamer.
- Change up the fresh herbs for variation
- This recipe is easily doubled, with or without the pip, with or without potato. Just add 2 more mins of cooking time.
- For additional protein, add some white beans to the potato and mash. or serve the dish with a side of beans, or add some cooked beans or lentils to the cooked mushrooms and simmer for a few mins.
Vegan Mushroom Bourguignon with Potato Cauliflower Mash
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 10 oz (8 oz) sliced mushrooms mixed or white or cremini
- 1/4 cup (58.75 ml) brandy or whiskey or red wine or use broth
- 3/4 cup (75 g) chopped carrots
- 1 cup (101 g) chopped celery
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) dried thyme or 1 tbsp fresh
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) garlic powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce ,tamari for gluten-free, coconut aminos for soyfree
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water or broth
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch mixed in 3 tbsp water (you can also add 2 tbsp of the mashed potato mixture to thicken)
- 1 cup (30 g) of spinach or greens
- 1 large potato cubed small
- 1 cup (100 g) cauliflower florets (heaping cup)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 to 4 tbsp non dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) each salt garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- Heat the Instant Pot on Saute. Add oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and a good pinch of salt and give them a quick mix. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes until golden on some edges. Add a tbsp of water if browning too quickly.
- Add the wine and mix well for a few seconds to cook out the alcohol.
- Add the carrots, celery, thyme and garlic and mix well. Add the soy sauce, tomato paste, 1/3 tsp salt (if using water or unsalted broth) and water/broth and give it a mix. Cancel saute. You can also add in 1 bay leaf and some rosemary for flavor variation at this point.
- Place the steamer basket on top of the mushroom mixture. Add potato and cauliflower to it.
- Close the Instant Pot lid. Pressure Cook for 9 to 10 minutes (Manual hi pressure). Add a minute if using larger quantity of either mushroom mix or potatoes, or if doubling.
- Let the pressure release naturally once the cooking is complete. Open the lid and carefully remove the steamer basket.
- Put the pot on saute, Add cornstarch slurry and give it a mix (you can also add 2 tbsp of the mashed potato mixture to thicken). Add spinach or baby kale and black pepper and mix. Bring the mixture to a boil to thicken, then cancel saute. Taste and adjust salt and flavor.
- Meanwhile. Transfer the steamed potato and cauliflower to a bowl and mash roughly. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, olive oil, non dairy milk and optionally fresh/dried herbs of choice(eg. thyme, rosemary, chives) and mash well to preferred consistency.
- Serve the mash layered with the mushroom bourguignon. Garnish with some fresh thyme or basil and black or white pepper.