Vegan Nashville Hot Cauliflower Bites. These Nashville Style Hot Cauliflower wings are flavorful, hot and Delicious! Serve with vegan ranch or other dips. Add to wraps or bowls. Vegan Nutfree Soyfree Recipe. Glutenfree option Jump to Recipe
Weekend fare some days for events, potlucks these days is some gardein strips with various hot sauces. One of those times, I made this nashville style peppery hot sauce that hubbs loved. I mean gone in 10 seconds kind of loved. So I decided to use it with some crispy Cauliflower!
Cauliflower florets get tossed in a simple batter. No dipping each floret one by one! Just dump into the bowl and toss to coat, then spread the florets in baking dish and bake. Then toss in the sauce and bake again. The Nashville sauce is HOT! It doesn’t feel that hot when you start eating the cauliflower, but just wait for 5 mins. Boom! You can adjust the overall sauce to be less hot, add more tang(vinegar), some more oil, garlic and sweet paprika instead. Serve with cooling dips such as vegan ranch. You can also add these bites to tacos, wraps or bowls!
More Cauliflower Recipes
- Taco Spice roasted Cauliflower
- Spicy Pepper Cauliflower Bites
- Mango Sriracha Cauliflower
- Aloo Gobi – Baked
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Cauliflower Red pepper Soup
- No Bake Cauliflower Gratin
Step by Step Photos
Chop the Cauliflower, make the batter. Toss well for a minute to coat.
Spread the florets on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 mins.
Make the Nashville hot chickin sauce. Add in the baked cauliflower and toss gently to coat.
Spread on baking dish and bake again. Serve with pickles and cooling dips
Adjust the heat, omit the oil
- You can reduce the heat of the sauce by reducing the cayenne, black pepper and hot sauce. Add more sweet paprika instead, add more tang(vinegar), some more oil or aquafaba for volume.
- You can reduce or omit the oil in the sauce by using aquafaba instead. Omit the oil from the batter. If possible, use a light spray for extra crispyness.
How to make Crispy Hot Cauliflower Wings
- Cauliflower loses a lot of moisture as it sits after cooking, so bake these close to serving time.
- Bake the bites till the batter coating is nicely crisp.
- When you add a sauce on the coating, you lose some crispyness. So for super crisp wings, sprinkle some breadcrumbs on the battered cauliflower then bake, and then serve the baked florets with the hot nashville style sauce as dip on the side.
- You can use the above method to serve with various hot sauces such as buffalo sauce, firecracker (see everyday kitchen book), or some sriracha bbq.
- I like making baked cauliflower in a thick ceramic or stoneware baking dish for even cooking. Baking trays work too, but tend to cook the bottoms and edges of the bites faster.
Vegan Nashville Hot Cauliflower Wings
- 1 medium head of cauliflower chopped into florets
- 1/3 cup (78.67 ml) non dairy milk such as almond or soy milk
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) onion powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1/4 cup (31.25 g) flour (all purpose, or use rice flour for gluten-free)
- 3 tbsp starch (I use cornstarch, arrowroot or potato starch works too)
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) baking powder
- 1 tsp oil
Nashville style hot chicken sauce:
- 1 tbsp oil or melted vegan butter
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cayenne , use 1/4 tsp for less heat
- 1 tsp black pepper , use 1//2 tsp for less heat
- 1 tsp sugar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp sweet paprika , use more if omitting cayenne
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) poultry seasoning ( or use sage + onion powder)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- Chop the cauliflower and set aside. Line a baking dish with parchment. Preheat the oven to 425 deg F ( 220 C).
- Make the batter by whisking all the ingredients under batter. The batter will start to thicken after half a minute, so work quickly.
- Add cauliflower florets and toss well to coat. It will take a minute for the thick batter to coat the florets well. Some uncoated cauliflower edges are ok. Drop on parchment lined baking dish. Spray oil on top. (You can also sprinkle 2-3 tbsp breadcrumbs on the florets in the dish for extra crispyness).
- Bake at 425 deg F for 25 mins (35 mins if serving the bites with hot sauce on the side) . In the meantime, make the nashville hot sauce mixture in large bowl. You can double this sauce easily for larger cauliflower.
- Remove the dish from the oven and cool for 5 mins. Add the baked cauliflower to the sauce bowl and gently toss to coat.
- Drop back into the baking dish and bake for 15 mins or longer at 400 deg F. Serve with cooling dips such as vegan ranch and some pickles.