This veggie bao recipe makes for a tasty and fun appetiser. Vegan recipe. Jump to Recipe
Veggie Bao(Chinese steamed buns)
- 2.5 cups (312.5 g) all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (166.67 ml) warm water
- 6 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons quick rise or active yeast quick rise works better
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil for dough
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil for greasing
- 2 cups (473.18 g) asian vegetables chopped carrots, water chestnuts, broccoli, peas
- 1/2 (0.5 ) medium onion chopped
- 1/2 (0.5 ) green bell pepper chopped
- 1 serano pepper
- 1 inch ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons stir-fry sauce or hoisin or sweet and sour sauce
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons oil
- In a wok, heat the oil and add chopped onion and serano pepper to it.
- Cook onion on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add green bell pepper and ginger and keep stirring. Cook on high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the asian vegetables and cook on high heat for 5 minutes. Stir intermittently. I used frozen Asian veggies, so I microwaved them to get them to almost room temperature before adding them to the wok.
- Add in the stir fry sauce and sugar and keep stirring.
- Cook on high heat for another 2 minutes with constant stirring.
- Take off heat and let cool.
- Warm the water to about a 110 degrees F(warm to touch) and add yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar to it. Mix well and let sit for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Add in the rest of the sugar, oil and 1 cup flour and mix well.
- Add 1 cup flour at a time and knead into a soft dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Place dough in a well oiled and covered container for an hour or until doubled.
- Knead dough on a well floured surface and divide into small balls. I ended up with 10 balls.
- Roll each ball to form a rough circle with thick middle and thin edges.
- Drop some filling in the middle and gather the dough on top to enclose the filling and pinch the edges close.
- Place the buns on a well oiled steamer plate or bamboo steamer lined with parchment paper. I used an idli steamer, used to steam indian rice dumplings.
- Let buns rise for 10-15 minutes.
- Steam buns in boiling water for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve warm !