Whole grain seed bread recipe. A seedy, whole grain filled Sandwich bread. Makes great grilled sandwiched. Vegan Soyfree Nutfree Recipe . Makes a 9 inch or 9.5 inch bread pan
I love adding seeds and grains to my every day breads. They up the nutrition of the flour + water bread and add flavor. Home made breads also are sturdy compared to the soft store bought versions. Home made breads make fabulous grilled sandwiches that can hold a ton of dry or moist veggies without breaking down. They also make fabulous french toast without dissolving into the french toast batter.
I generally prefer to add cooked cracked grains as they add moisture as well are easy on the teeth. Don’t get me started on my teeth issues :). Lets just say those chewy or crunchy grains in the 9 grain or 21 grain or seed bread from the store, get bothersome very quickly.
This loaf has whole seeds and grains like millet and oat. The millet and sesame seeds are lightly toasted to bring out the flavor and to make the millet a bit crunchy/porous. Most of the seeds and grains are added into the dough, and some are sprinkled over the loaf. If you have trouble sticking the seeds and grain to the bread, just add all into the dough. Make this multigrain and seed bread.
The non dairy yogurt in the loaf keeps the bread moist. Use coconut cream as a substitute. Cover the bread towards the end of baking so the crust and seeds do not brown too much.
More breads from the blog
- Vegan Sprouted Wheat Millet Sandwich Bread Recipe
- Vegan Pita Bread Recipe
- White Bean Sandwich Bread Loaf. Vegan Recipe
- Whole Grain Za’atar Tomato Flatbread for Virtual Vegan
- Vegan Pretzel Bites with Spicy Mustard Dip
Make the bread dough. After the first rise, add half of the seeds and grains into the dough and knead for a few seconds to distribute well. Shape the dough. Spritz with water, cover with a towel and let it rise for 20 minutes.
Prepare the corn starch “egg wash”. Liberally brush on the bread. Then sprinkle and stick the seeds and grain on the loaf. Press a bit to help make a single layer of seeds.
Bake for 35 minutes or longer. Cool and slice. Store refrigerated for upto 7 days.
Whole Grain Seed Bread Recipe
- 1.5 cups (375 ml) warm water divided
- 1 tbsp active yeast
- 1.5 Tbsp maple or 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/5 cup (150 g) spelt or wheat flour
- 2 cups (250 g) unbleached white flour
- 1 1/4 tsp (1.25 tsp) salt
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds or flaxseed meal
- 2 tbsp non dairy yogurt
- 1 tbsp oil or yogurt
- 2 tbsp millet or other small grain like amaranth
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp oats
For the cornstarch vegan egg wash:
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup warm water, maple/sugar and yeast. Mix and let sit until frothy 5 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, add flours and salt and mix well. Add the yeast mixture, yogurt, 1 cup water, oil, flax and knead for 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth. Add more flour if needed.
- Place the kneaded dough in a large oiled container. cover with a towel and let it rise for an hour ot until doubled.
- Meanwhile, toast the millet over medium heat for a minute, add sesame seeds and continue to toast for another minute. Take off heat and keep aside.
- Punch the dough down. Add half of the millet sesame seed mixture, 1.5 tbsp oats, 1.5 tbsp sunflower seeds and knead into the dough for a few seconds. Pat the dough down into a fat rectangle and roll it up like a jelly roll. Seal the edge. Place the dough in parchment lined bread pan. Spray water liberally on top and let it rise for 20 minutes in a warm place.
- Prep the cornstarch "egg wash". Mix the cornstarch in 1/2 cup of water, heat the water over medium heat until it thickens into a sludge. Brush the wash liberally on the dough. Sprinkle the seeds all over, stick them by pressing with hands. Spray water then spray with oil. Let the dough rise for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F / 190ºc. Bake the bread for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees f / 170ºc. Cover the bread lightly with parchment and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
To bake into burger buns: Shape the dough after first rise. Let rise for 10 minutes. Brush with corn starch wash, sprinkle seeds and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Nutritional values based on one large loaf
Thats a masala mac and tomato cayenne chao cheese grilled sandwich for lunch and almond butter Sriracha sandwich for snack later.