What do you do when you get organic fruits and 2 days later they start to go bad? Well, I make a cooked cooler/smoothie out of it.
Based on the very loved Raw Mango Panna from all the summers while growing up in India. This drink can be cooked and kept in thick smoothie form in the refrigerator for a few days. It can also be frozen for a few weeks! The thick smoothie can be thinned to a light juice consistency with addition of cold water, when you just want some hydration on a hot day.
A recent problem I have developed, is not being able to digest most raw fruits. I have no clue why, but some raw fruits and veggies give me an instant bad stomach, which gets better as soon as the fruit is out! Its a waste of fruit really! But slightly cooked fruit gets digested just fine. So I have started cooking the fruits and veggies a bit, spicing them with different spices and herbs and making cooked smoothie/juices instead.
- In a deep pan, add the strawberries and blueberries, mint or basil leaves, salt, sugar, rock salt or lemon juice, cinnamon powder, and water enough to cover the fruit.
- Boil for 10 minutes or till fruits soften.
- Blend the mixture when cool and adjust salt, sugar and rock salt(rock salt adds a sour flavor).
- Add more or less water according to preference. Keep it thick and smoothie like for a filling breakfast or add more water for a light drink.
- Serve chilled topped with fresh mint leaves! Or add a splash of your favorite liquor in the evening!
- Have a fantastic Monday. A Very Happy Independence day to all fellow Indians! Our generation was born in a free country. Lets use the freedom wisely!
This drink is headed to Ricki's Wellness Weekend! and to Nourishing treasure's whole health weekend link up and Taste of Pearl City's Anyone Can cook series 31