Chickpea flour Omelette with spinach, onion, tomato, bell peppers. Vegan Glutenfree Soyfree nutfree recipe

Its an egg, its tofu, no its just a very allergy friendly, soy free, I cant believe this is an omellette. Pardon my attempt at humor. I am super sleepy:) I just finished watching the amazing Gabby win the Gold, such a proud moment and then Phelps… this guy Phelps. He is such a fantastic athlete. I had a crush on him all through Beijing…
( Testing 1 2 3.. testing to see if hubbs reads my posts ;)
Testing complete..

Omelette with thicker batter. (additional chickpea flour)

This Omelette is made of chickpea flour. The flax meal and oat flour add some volume and eggy slickness to the batter. Lots of veggies and a hint of black salt make this a perfect non egg smell, versatile omelette base. So here comes The Denver, The Seattle, The Californian, The colarado, The country!.. omelette variations ;)
This version is adapted from my Chilla- chickpea flour crepes with indian spices, that we usually eat on the weekends. Chilla is a thinner batter consistency and not leavened.
Pictured on this post, with onions, tomatoes, green bell pepper, carrot, spinach and arugula, leavened a little and made into one fluffy breakfast. Some mushrooms would be scrumptious in this. Add salt to taste. Err on the side of using less, since I do like mine more salty.
Steps:
Mix in flaxmeal and water and let sit for 5 minutes.
Add salt, spices, oat flour
Add veggies, chopped small, as many as you want.
Drop the entire batter on a large, lightly greased, heated non stick pan on medium heat.
Cover and cook on medium for 7-8 minutes.
Fluffyy. drop a few drops on oil on the edges. Continue to cook for 5-7 minutes. Check for doneness. It might break apart if you try to flip too soon( depends on the consistency of the batter and thickness of the omelette).
Flip and cook uncovered for another 4-5 minutes.
Serve hot! deliciousness..
Veggie Omelette
Gluten, Soy, nut, egg, dairy free
Ingredients: serves 1 hungry person, easily doubled, tripled
1 Tablespoon flaxmeal
1 Tablespoon Oat flour (or omit)
1/3 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
a generous pinch of black salt/kala namak (1/8 teaspoon)
a generous pinch of garlic powder (1/8 teaspoon)
pinch of turmeric
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
a few Tablespoons each of chopped onion, bell peppers, tomato, carrots( 1/3 to 1/2 cup total veggies)
1/2 Jalapeno or serano chili pepper finely chopped( or use black pepper/cayenne to taste)
1/4 cup packed chopped spinach or greens
Directions:
In a bowl, add flaxmeal and warm 1/4 cup water.
whisk and let sit for 5 minutes. Prep the veggies.
Mix baking powder in the chickpea flour.
Add in the chickpea flour, oat flour, salt, spices and 1/4 cup more water and mix. and whisk for half a minute to combine well and to help the batter get airy.
(Or use garfava(garbanzo and fava bean flour), instead of flax,oat, chickpea. Mix in baking powder in garfava flour and add water. garfava makes a thicker mixture and a fatter fluffier omelette. you might need additional water if the batter is too thick)
Add the veggies, jalapeno, greens and fold in well.
Heat a non stick pan at medium heat and grease a little.
Drop the batter on the hot pan and tap once or twice to spread. (Or use spatula to spread the veggies a bit)
Cover with a lid and cook for 7 minutes.
Take lid off, add a few drops of oil on the edges, cook for another 5-7 minutes(depends on the consistency of the batter).
Flip and cook for 5-6 minutes.
Add more greens and/or non dairy cheese, fold and serve with ketchup, toasts and hash browns.
If making a larger batch, or keeping the batter sitting for long, the veggies will leak some moisture into the batter. Check consistency and Whisk a few teaspoons of chickpea flour into the batter to thicken, just before making the next omelette.
(This quantity can also make 2 medium-small omelettes. They will cook faster and will be easier to flip)

Want More Delicious Recipes to Your Inbox?

Comments

Wow, I’m excited to see a recipe for vegan omlettes in a very Indian style. I lived in India for a year and some of my (also veg) teacher co-workers taught me a similar recipe for chickpea flour omlettes.

It’s actually more like your Chilla recipe, as they don’t get all fancy with the flax and oat flour. It’s surprising how good they are, isn’t it? Have you tried using a bit of black salt (kala namak from Asian/Indian spice shops)? It has a bit of egg/sulfur flavor which complements nicely. I’m sure all the vegan cheeses you can get nowadays make this even better!

Yep, we make chilla/puda often which is thinner, and has more spices like cumin powder, carom seeds(ajwain), asafoetida( hing). the spices though are very strong and dont taste like a neutral omelette. just the hint of kala namak is enough to give it a slight tang and the fresh veggies do the rest!

I LOVE this recipe Richa! Do you think I will be able to add more chickpea flour instead of the oat flour or half flax & half chickpea flour? I’m not doing well with oats now, even GF ones :(

you can skip the oats. Add more flax or more chickpea flour. it will work just fine. make a slightly thicker batter. Let me know how it works out.

I have just made this -awesome! Thanks so much for this recipe. The only problem was, it did fall apart on taking it out of the pan, maybe it wasn’t completely cooked, or maybe batter not right consistency. It still tasted divine though!

maybe it was too thick and not yet done. you can slit the batter into 2 and make smaller omelettes. they take less time to cook and are easier to flip. :) Thank you for trying them out and liking them!

Delicious! I mixed the dry ingredients first and then added the soaked flax meal. I added a bit of regular salt to the mix in addition to the kala namak, and I added quite a lot of fresh cilantro along with the vegetables. Absolutely fantastic, thank you so much for creating & sharing!

I keep returning to this recipe, each time with different vegetables. I love it! This time for a sauce to go with it, I added a bit of ground cashews and lots of sriracha to VedgedOut’s oil free goddess dressing.

These are so good! We don’t eat eggs anymore since we found out our son is allergic. I’m so happy to find this recipe. My husband and son really like them also.

I make this about once a month. It’s so good! I put a mix of dried herbs in the batter and usually have greens and tomatoes folded in.

This is the best ever! I have never been able to flip a non-vegan omelette and I used to hate chickpea flour, and you have taught me how to love doing both! Thank you Richa, you are amazing! <3

This is wonderful! I used to not be able to flip omelettes and I hated chickpea flour and now I love both! Your step-by-step instructions made a huge difference to this not so skilled cooked! Finally a delicious, high protein breakfast is mine! Thanks for sharing the recipe and all the care you put into your blog!

I made this omelet for breakfast today, my husband and I loved it. I double the recipe and used potatoes, the result and amazing Spanish tortilla , thanks Richa!

11. Anonymous says

It was delicious! I didn’t not have flaxmeal or oat flour and still, my whole family loved it! Thank you for a great recipe!

12. Anonymous says

Hi Angela, I make these ALL of the time and I made them before the recipe was changed to using oat flour and only 1 T flax meal. What I have is 2 T flax meal with 1/4 water, let sit and then add spices and another 1/4 water. I take it the updated recipe is a bit easier to mix? Or more airy?

Absolutely delicious! Is there any way to make this come out firmer? I love the taste but the texture was much softer than I’d like it. It was kind of like a really soft pancake.

cook it a bit longer. cook time depends on the pan and stove.
      or make a thinner batter with just a bit more water, so that it cooks up faster.

14. David Aldred says

I only recently discovered the wonders of vegan omelettes, and the one thing Richa said is what first attracted me: they don’t stink of eggs! Why did I go all these years eating egg omelettes when I was a vegetarian , when just a little knowledge would have saved my taste buds (and not a few chicks!) So now I will begin another adventure!

Its the pan. what pan are you using? for a regular non stick pan, a new pan or a pan that is used only for crepes and pancakes works best. Heat up the pan and drizzle a few drops of oil. Spread the oil all over the pan using a paper towel. Pour the batter into the pan only when the pan is hot.

15. Zavier says

I botched the hell out of this recipe. I didn’t have baking powder, was too lazy to make oat flour, and can’t find kala namak anywhere in my town. I didn’t measure out the few spices I did use, and put too much water in the flax. I used onion, potato and red banana pepper. As I was stirring it, I was thinking to myself that I really hoped it tasted better than it smelled. When I put it in the skillet, it transformed. When I ate it, it was heavenly. This recipe rocks! I hope someday I can make it exactly. Thank you!