It is that time of the year again! Virtual Vegan Potluck Nov 2013. There are 146 blogs participating this time. That is a lot of vegan goodies on the interwebz, all connected with this Potluck!
This time I am bringing a main dish. This awesome Cauliflower Broccoli Masala Pie with Potato Black Eyed Pea Crust. It is an Indian meal rolled into a pie. There are beans, and there is aloo gobi(potato cauliflower) and some broccoli. Spiced up with fresh garam masala. Few ingredients, easy, very flavorful, healthy and a show stopper!
The Cauliflower Broccoli Pie / tart has no gluten, grain, nut or yeast. The crust is Potato and Black eyed Peas, filled up up with grated Cauliflower and Broccoli (which takes about 10 seconds total to rice up in my blendtec). I used my favorite freshly ground garam masala in the pie. You can use any other spice or herb blend. The crust itself is so delicious, taste like Aloo Tikki/Cutlet, and super easy to put together. Somewhat a reverse Shepherd’s Pie. The pie is moist and soft inside. Serve it as is, or with gravy, a favorite dressing or Sriracha.
Thank you to the VVP team for bringing us all together and all the hard work!
How gorgeous is that crust!
This by the way is another way I would eat Broccoli (Broccoli disliker in the house!). If you also fall in the same category and would rather not eat broccoli, use another 1.5 cups of grated Cauliflower in the filling to make a Cauliflower Pie.
The other few ways you might just get me to eat it
Broccoli Fritters GF
Broccoli Dal - Broccoli in Lentil and Mung Bean Stew GF
Broccoli & Cauliflower in Makhani gravy GF
More Cauliflower goodies..
This Gobi Aloo Lentil hummus wrap
Cauliflower crust Pizza GF
Chickpea Quinoa Chard Crust topped with roasted Cauliflower GF
Mac and cheese with Cauliflower cheese sauce
Lentil Cauliflower Burger with chipotle habanero mayo, onion rings and peppers. GF
Last year I made these Sweet Potato Canapes topped with BBQ Mung Bean Sprouts.
On another note, my Vegan Indian Sweets EBook is available on this page. I added a few reviews and will keep adding more as I get them. 15 Indian sweets have been vegan-ized and yield great results. It makes a Great holiday gift
Dry roast the grated cauliflower and broccoli.
Add in salt and spices, cook for a total 6-7 minutes and keep ready.
Boil or bake the potatoes. Mash with the cooked black eyed peas.
Add salt and spices, Mix well and refrigerate for an hour.
Press to form crust.
Load with the roasted cauliflower and Broccoli. Press down to pack.
Top with Tomatoes or cheese of choice. Bake for 35 minutes.
This Pie is being shared at Allergy Free Wednesdays, slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
Cauliflower Broccoli Masala Pie with Potato Black Eyed Pea Crust
Allergen Information: Free of Dairy,egg, corn, soy, gluten, yeast, grain, nut. Can be made oil-free.
Ingredients: makes an 8 inch pie
2 medium potatoes, boiled
Cauliflower Broccoli Filling:
Top with tomato slices or cheese and bake in preheated 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes. Bake longer for a crispier crust. Let cool for 10 minutes before trying to slice.
Notes: Replace the broccoli with cauliflower for a cauliflower only pie. Add thinly sliced greens and saute with the cauliflower for variation. Add a layer of marinara on the crust and then top with cauliflower broccoli mixture for a more moist pie.
- 2 medium potatoes, boiled
- 1 cup dry black eyed peas (1.5 cups cooked)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala or other herb blend or choice
- a generous dash of black pepper
- 1 tsp oil
- 1.5 cups grated cauliflower
- 1.5 cups grated broccoli
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Soak 1 cup dry black eyed peas in warm water for an hour then pressure cook for 2 whistles. Let pressure release by itself then open, drain and use. Or use 1.5 cups canned or slow cooked black eyed peas.
- Boil the potatoes until well done. Mash the potatoes and black eyed peas well. I used a potato masher. Add the spices and salt and mix well. The mixture will be sticky at this point. Cover and Chill in the refrigerator for an hour. Press and shape into crust when ready to bake.
- Grate the cauliflower and Broccoli. I used my Blendtec to pulse both into a grated rice. Small florets, about 1.5 loaded cups each. Use small crisp florets and blend not more than 1.5 cups at a time for best results.
- In a large pan, add oil and heat on low-medium. Add the Cauliflower and broccoli. Add in the salt and spices and mix well. Cook for 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. We just want to roast out some of the extra moisture from the vegetables and not dry them up completely. Fill up the prepared crust and press and pack the filling.
- Top with tomato slices or cheese and bake in preheated 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes. Bake longer for a crispier crust. Let cool for 10 minutes before trying to slice.
- Serve hot with a dressing of choice or a gravy. Hubbs enjoyed his with a generous drizzle of Sriracha. Tastes even better the next day.
- Notes: Replace the broccoli with cauliflower for a cauliflower only pie. Add thinly sliced greens and saute with the cauliflower for variation. Add a layer of marinara on the crust and then top with cauliflower broccoli mixture for a more moist pie.
Use the below buttons to move forward or back in the potluck line up
Or Start at the Beginning here