This year we have a backyard herb garden and it has some fragrant herbs that are thankfully alive :). Those herbs are used here to infuse the pumpkin cream sauce with the fresh herb flavor and the pasta tossed in. For the topping I toasted up some Sage in oil along with bread crumbs. Use coarsely ground pumpkin seeds or nuts instead to make gluten-free.
This past weekend has been a bit crazy. It just seems like one thing gets better and another thing or wait a bunch more things (got to schedule another RC and crown fitting appointments) show up. This year my sinuses have acted up (dry congestion and inflammation) and upset my balance more than they did any of the past years. I think it is because of non allergic rhinitis that is triggered by just about everything. Any change in temperature, humidity, barometric pressure. baah. I have to get tested and diagnosed to be sure and figure out what to do about it. Till then I will be in crappy mood every other day. Anyone has experience with and suggestions, please do let me know.
Anywho, I like the kitchen and since I do not need all my senses to work, cooking still happens. Of course, misplaced items can cause a bit of a grumble, but hey, thats married life 😉
Make this simple Vegan Pumpkin Sage Pasta tonight! The burst of flavor, a simple sauce and perfect dinner.
More easy meals from the blog.
Watch this week: Bite size Vegan’s video on Are there alternatives to Animal Testing
The luscious pumpkin cream sauce. Add pasta and serve hot.
Crisp up sage with bread crumbs, salt and pepper and garnish the pasta before serving.
- 6 to 8 oz Rotini or Fusilli pasta
- 1 tsp extra virgin oil
- 8 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 to 1.5 tsp fresh thyme leaves or ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree or use sweet potato puree
- ¾ cup non dairy milk like coconut or almond
- ½ tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 fresh sage leaves, julienned
- 2 to 3 Tbsp breadcrumbs or coarsely ground cashews or pumpkin seeds
- a generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta according to instructions. Drain and keep aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil at medium low heat. Add Sage, thyme and garlic and cook until garlic and herbs change color slightly. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Add tomato paste and pumpkin and mix in. Add milk, salt and pepper and mix in. Bring to a boil. Taste and adjust salt.
- Add cooked pasta, toss well. Cover and take off heat. Let sit for a few minutes.
- In a small skillet, add oil and heat at medium. Add sage and cook for half a minute. Add breadcrumbs or coarsely chopped nuts and cook until golden and toasted. Add salt and pepper and mix in. Use to garnish the pasta generously. You can also sprinkle some pepita parm or other nut based parm.