Bhindi Masala Recipe. Indian Okra Curry. Lightly spiced Okra in onion tomato curry. Restaurant style Masala Bhindi. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Indian Recipe. Pin this Recipe.
Okra is cooked in many ways in Indian cuisine. It usually is a veggie side served as a part of a meal, served with dals and curries. It can be served as simple side cooked with just onions, or cooked in a sauces like sesame peanut coconut (book page 71), tamarind coconut(kuzhambu), and many more. Here is another simple curried Okra or a basic bhindi masala. Add more spices or add some coconut milk for creamy curry.
I get Okra from the Indian store and they seem to always have a lot in stock. Get green and young okra and try it in one of these Indian recipes.
More veggie sides from the blog
- Baked Crunchy Popcorn Okra
- Okra in tamarind coconut sauce
- Bhindi Zunka – Okra crusted with chickpea flour and spices.
- Okra and Onion Stir fry
- Pan Roasted Sesame Coconut Brussels Sprouts
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finley chopped
- 2.5 cups chopped Okra
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp coriander powder
- cayenne as needed
- ¾ cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp ketchup or use tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt.
- garam masala and cilantro for garnish.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. when hot, add mustard and cumin seeds and cook until they start to pop or change color.
- Add the onion, chili, garlic, ginger and cook until translucent. 4 mins. I usually use my mini food processor to chop these. Lots of onion garlic chili used in Indian food, so i know i will need more chopped for dals or curries.
- Add okra and pinch of salt., Cook for 10 minutes or until golden on some edges. Stir occasionally. Roasting the okra till the edges dry out a bit will seal in the slime.
- Add spices, tomato, ketchup, salt and water. Cover and cook until tomatoes are cooked. 6 mins Taste and adjust salt and spice. Mash the larger tomato pieces. Sprinkle some garam masala and mix in. Garnish with cilantro. Serve in a bowl with dals, soups or curries and cooked grains or flatbread.
Add some amchur (dry mango powder) with the tomatoes.
Add in some coconut milk for creamier sauce.