Bhindi Masala Recipe. Indian Okra Curry. Lightly spiced Okra in onion tomato curry. Restaurant style Masala Bhindi. Vegan Gluten-free Soy-free Indian Recipe. Pin this Recipe.
Okra is cooked in many ways in Indian cuisine. It usually is a veggie side served as a part of a meal, served with dals and curries. It can be served as simple side cooked with just onions, or cooked in a sauces like sesame peanut coconut (book page 71), tamarind coconut(kuzhambu), and many more. Here is another simple curried Okra or a basic bhindi masala. Add more spices or add some coconut milk for creamy curry.
I get Okra from the Indian store and they seem to always have a lot in stock. Get green and young okra and try it in one of these Indian recipes.
More veggie sides from the blog
- Baked Crunchy Popcorn Okra
- Okra in tamarind coconut sauce
- Bhindi Zunka – Okra crusted with chickpea flour and spices.
- Okra and Onion Stir fry
- Pan Roasted Sesame Coconut Brussels Sprouts
Bhindi Masala Recipe
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cumin seeds
- 1/2 (0.5) medium onion thinly sliced
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves (2 to 3 cloves) of garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 inch (0.5 inch) ginger finley chopped
- 2.5 cups (250 g) chopped Okra
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) turmeric
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) coriander powder
- cayenne as needed
- 3/4 cup (111.75 g) chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp ketchup or use tomato paste
- 1/4 cup (62.5 ml) water
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt.
- garam masala and cilantro for garnish.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. when hot, add mustard and cumin seeds and cook until they start to pop or change color.
- Add the onion, chili, garlic, ginger and cook until translucent. 4 mins. I usually use my mini food processor to chop these. Lots of onion garlic chili used in Indian food, so i know i will need more chopped for dals or curries.
- Add okra and pinch of salt., Cook for 10 minutes or until golden on some edges. Stir occasionally. Roasting the okra till the edges dry out a bit will seal in the slime.
- Add spices, tomato, ketchup, salt and water. Cover and cook until tomatoes are cooked. 6 mins Taste and adjust salt and spice. Mash the larger tomato pieces. Sprinkle some garam masala and mix in. Garnish with cilantro. Serve in a bowl with dals, soups or curries and cooked grains or flatbread.
Add some amchur (dry mango powder) with the tomatoes.
Add in some coconut milk for creamier sauce. Nutritional values based on one serving