Pumpkin Seed Alfredo Fusilli. Nut-free Vegan Alfredo Recipe. Easy cashew free alfredo sauce with pasta. Vegan Soy-free Nut-free Recipe. Pin this Recipe.
Creamy pastas make for a quick and filling weeknight meal. Fusilli is tossed in pumpkin seed alfredo and served with greens, nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan and a good dash of black pepper. Super easy and flavorful. Add veggies and greens of choice.
I have a nut-free alfredo on the blog using cauliflower which is amazing as well, easy and quite versatile. You can find the cauliflower alfredo here. If you do not like cauliflower, this is the recipe for you. Use this sauce to make other creamy sauces. Add additional garlic and olive oil for a garlic sauce, add some roasted chile or jalapeno for a chile garlic cream sauce.
More pasta from the blog
- Fettuccine with Tomato Cream Sauce and garlicky roasted Asparagus
- Pumpkin Sage Pasta with pumpkin cream sauce and crisp Sage
- Black pepper Mac and Cheese
- Chickpea Chorizo, Quinoa shells in tomato sauce.
- Spinach Penne in Chipotle Habanero cream sauce
- 6 to 8 oz fusilli or fettucini.
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ cup chopped onion or shallots
- 3 fat cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup water, divided
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp or more dried thyme
- ¼ tsp dried basil or oregano
- ¾ tsp or more salt
- 1.5 to 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp flour (I use whole wheat. use rice flour to make gf)
- a generous dash of black pepper
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup unsweetened non dairy milk
- black pepper, red pepper flakes and vegan peptita parm for garnish
- 1 cup baby spinach and ½ cup thawed peas (optional)
- Cook pasta according to instructions and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent. 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add pumpkin seeds and ¼ cup water an bring to a boil. about 4 minutes. Cook for 2 more minutes, then let it cool a bit..
- Meanwhile add all the ingredients from nutritional yeast through non dairy milk to the blender (nutritional yeast, herbs, salt, lemon, vinegar, flour, pepper, olive oil, on dairy milk). Add the onion pumpkin seed mixture to the blender. Blend until smooth.
- Return to the skillet over medium heat. Add another ¼ cup water.(I use the water to rinse the blender and added it to the skillet). Bring to a boil. Stir frequently to avoid lumps. The mixture will thicken considerably. Cook for another minute, so the flour is cooked through. Total 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully taste and adjust the salt and tang. Add more herbs if you wish.
- Add the cooked pasta, spinach, peas and other veggies if using. Toss well. If the sauce is too thick, add a few tbsp of water or the pasta cooking water and mix in. Cover and switch off heat. Let the pasta sit for 2-3 minutes before serving.
- Garnish with pepper flakes and nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan of choice.
Add more garlic and fold in chopped roasted chile or jalapeno for variation.
Use 3 to 4 tbsp cashews at Step 3, if ok with nuts.