Easy Vegan Falafel Burger. Chickpea patties with 5 minute tahini dressing, tomatoes, onions, pickles make for a filling and flavorful burger. Vegan Soy-free Recipe. Ready within 30 Minutes. Can be made gluten-free. Pin it for later.
Everyone needs a falafel burger! A simple Chickpea burger with falafel flavors, tahini dressing, pickles, lettuce and other fixings.
This falafel burger uses cooked chickpeas, cumin, coriander, cardamom, parley, lemon and a binder and comes together within minutes. Pan fry until golden. Make the 5 minute Tahini dressing. Serve these between buns with a generous dressing or in a pita bread! Sesame seeds add an amazing flavor and crunch to the patties. Use breadcrumbs, or coarsely ground oats as binder. Make these flavorful soft moist falafel burger patties!
I prefer these panfried as baked chickpea patties tend to dry out a bit more. To bake these, make sure to add some additional moistue holding ingredients such as tahini and 1 flax egg(1 tbsp flax mixed in 2.5 tbsp water). The patties come together very quickly. Put everything in a processor, shape and pan fry. The whole sandwich or wrap, however you want to serve these are ready within 30 Minutes.
Oh yes, if you use all cilantro instead of parsley, serve these with chutneys of choice. Also, serve 1 patty per burger. The stacking is for photo purposes only ;).
More Burgers from the blog
- Lentil Quinoa “Meatloaf” Burger
- BBQ Veggie Burger with Mango Carrot Cabbage slaw
- Lentil Walnut Burgers.
- Red Lentil and Cauliflower Burger with Onion rings and Chipotle Habanero Mayo
- Grill-able Artichoke Cauliflower Spinach Bean Burger
- and a 35 Veggie burger collection round up!
Classic falafel uses dry chickpeas that are soaked overnight and used. Since I almost never deep fry, I have found that the soaked chickpeas dont work as well when pan fried or baked. If using dry chickpeas, cook them a bit before using for best results. See notes in the Recipe box.
If you make these, do tag me on Instagram and let me know in comments how it worked out!
Make the falafel mixture, chill and shape into patties. Pan fry until golden. I use both raw garlic and roasted garlic in these patties. Raw garlic can sometimes be a strong flavor profile, so use whichever garlic you prefer.
Serve in a burger or pita bread with toppings of choice.
- 2 15 oz can chickpeas, washed well and drained. or about 3 cups cooked
- ¾ cup loosely chopped red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic (preferably roasted or lightly cooked to golden)
- ½ to ¾ cup parsley
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp or more ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ to ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ to ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ to 1 tsp salt (depends on whether the chickpeas are salted)
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp or more lemon juice
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup more breadcrumbs (use gluten-free crumbs, coarsely blended oats or gf flour to make gluten-free)
- ¼ cup tahini
- 1 clove of garlic
- a handful of fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup or more water
- ¼ tsp salt
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced onions
- Sliced pickles (dill cucumber pickle)
- lettuce or greens
- Drain the chickpeas, wash and drain well and keep ready.
- In a processor, add onion, garlic, parsley and cilantro and pulse to mince.
- Add the rest of the ingredients through oil and the chickpeas and pulse to make a coarse mixture.
- Transfer to a bowl and add sesame seeds and breadcrumbs and mix in. Add enough crumbs to make a soft doughy mixture. The dough will become less sticky as it chills.
- Chill the mixture for 20 to 30 minutes.Taste and adjust salt, tang, flavor(add more spices if oyu like) and heat and mix in.
- Shape into patties and pan fry on a heavy bottom skillet over medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes per side.
- Blend everything under tahini dressing. Taste and adjust salt and tang. Add more tahini for thicker dressing and more water for thinner.
- Toast the burger buns. Assemble the burger with sliced tomatoes, onions, lettuce or greens, falafel patties and a generous amount of tahini dressing, pickles. Add some hot sauce if you wish. Serve! I also often add a layer of hummus. Serve as burgers or in a pita bread.