Vegan Minestrone – White Bean Soup with Elbows, Veggies, Basil and vegan parmesan. Can be gluten-free, nut-free. Soy-free Vegan Dairy-free Recipe
Winter greys were bringing me down, so I decided it was time to whip up my minestrone.
One pot, tomatoey bowl of goodness filled with veggies, beans and pasta. Use any beans or combination of beans and pasta of choice. Use up any leftover veggies. The soup inevitably becomes everything but the kitchen sink soup, except probably okra. No okra for me in soup. I like my minestrone less tomatoey. Some canned tomatoes work out great instead of paste. Add some tomato paste for a thicker soup or for flavor if needed. Garnish with basil and vegan parmesan. Serve with crusty bread, garlic rolls or crackers.
It snowed a bit today in Seattle and my playlist is on holiday song repeats. It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas….. Time to whip up cookies and gingerbread things.
More Soups and Stews. This easy creamy filling Broccoli Slaw Soup, Turkish lentil soup, Turmeric Laksa Curry Soup with fresh turmeric root, 15 min Indian Spiced tomato Soup, Curried Butternut Squash Soup with toasted pepitas or Mushroom chickpea greens soup.
I am thankful to have Drizzle and Shine in Seattle making it easy to shop ethical clothing. Finding options that are made of natural plant material is somewhat easy, but finding clothes that are not made in sweatshops, by child labor, by exploited labor, is fair trade, organic and uses sustainable and ethical practices, can take up hours to search for. Jean makes it all easy by doing all that research and curating some in her store. We got a Save the Duck winter jacket that uses no down feathers.
In other fun news, Peta India sent out a Vegan gift basket to 140 celebrities from the film industry(Bollywood) in India and they included my cookbook! I am not sure if all the packages will get to people and if they will open them. I mentioned the book to a few of the celebs on twitter and did get a few tweets back, so yay! Please do retweet some of my tweets so they/their cooks get the book and try some amazing vegan food.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- 1 28 oz can diced tomato
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans,or other white beans or a combinationof white and kidney beans
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 3 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup elbows or other pasta (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 tbsp chopped basil
- vegan parmesan for garnish (optional)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent. 4 mins.
- Add celery, carrots and tomato and bring to a boil. 4 to 5 mins.
- Add the beans, zucchini, water, salt and spices and cook for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Add ½ cup pasta and simmer for 12 or more minutes. Taste and adjust salt, herbs and heat.
- Fold in spinach and 2 tbsp chopped basil and simmer for another minute. Serve hot garnished with fresh basil and vegan parmesan.