Yes, more chickpea flour :).
Finally, there are a few scattered sunny days in Seattle and I can give my black background a break 🙂 The clouds screw up the white balance of the photograph and make everything look blue.
I love these small savory pancake versions of the usual chickpea flour Omelette things that we eat atleast twice a week. These pancakes today are packed with awesome stuff… grated Cauliflower, Shiitake, spices, cheese shreds and Sriracha. The grated Cauliflower makes them fat and packed with more than just chickpea flour.
Make the batter with chickpea flour and spices/herbs. Add veggies, shrooms, greens. Make pancakes. Serve. It cant get easier 🙂
The pancakes cook faster and are sturdier than the omelettes. Add an extra dash of kala namak for the eggy taste and you wont miss no eggs for breakfast. The batter can also make Omelettes. Add 2-3 Tablespoons more water for a thinner consistency so that it is easier to spread. These mini Omelette-pancakes are soy-free(no tofu) and grain-free. If you make a thinner batter, you will end up with a Chilla/Puda which we all grew up eating in India.
You can also make a pizza base with this batter like this Chickpea Millet pizza crust. Make atleast 1/4 inch thick base for sturdy slices. It can be a sub for an all cauliflower crust.
Top slice pictured below has daiya cheese shreds. The pancakes set to a sturdy not-squishy state after cooling, hence the clean slices.
Factory farms keep almost all chickens worldwide and every year they:
– Raise and kill over 40 Billion broilers .
– Keep over 6 Billion egg-laying hens, killed after a year, who lay over a trillion eggs.
– Kill over 6 Billion male chicks soon after hatching in the egg-laying industry.
In total over 50 billion chickens are killed annually. Stats via AnimalEthics.org
All birds, irrespective of the label on the carton(cage-free, organic etc) are de-beaked without anesthetic so they dont mutilate themselves or each other. And to increase egg production, the birds are starved, called forced molting which is withdrawal of food for 7-14 days, which leads to starvation, losing feathers and weight and sometimes death.
And so many of them do die just out of sheer exhaustion of producing eggs that use up all the calcium, nutrients and protein from their bodies.
The biggest waste product of the Egg industry are Male chicks, billions of them instantly ground to death in a grinding machine or filled up in trash bags to suffocate to death.
And some of this can be reduced by picking up some chickpea flour to whip up egg like meals.
Chickpea flour or gram flour or garbanzo bean flour or besan(pronounced “bay-sun”) is gluten-free, high protein and such a versatile ingredient.
More uses of chickpea flour..
this Veggie and Spinach Omelette.
or Soy-free Mushroom Chard Almond-feta Frittata.
Or this Chickpea Millet Breakfast bake.
or Savory steamed cakes – Dhokla.
or Fritters fried or baked. Baked Broccoli Fritters
and even Laddoo or sweet chickpea flour balls!
Or make a face mask. Make a thick paste, add a pinch of turmeric if you have some. Apply, gently exfoliate and wash after a few minutes:)
How do you like to use Chickpea flour..
Mix the dry ingredients. Whisk well to combine.
Add water and whisk into smooth batter with no lumps.
Add the grated cauliflower, shiitake, veggies to batter.
Mix to combine.
Use ladle fulls of batter and make pancakes. Spread the batter in desired size. Cook for 6-7 minutes.
Flip and cook for another 5 minutes.
Serve hot with ketchup, sauces, roasted veggies, favorite gravy or pesto.
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 Tablespoon flaxmeal
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ranch seasoning or other seasoning mixes like chipotle, cajun, taco, garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- a generous pinch 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda
- a generous pinch of kala namak/indian black salt optional. Add for eggy taste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 cup grated Cauliflower loaded cup
- 3-4 Shiitake mushrooms or other fresh mushrooms finely chopped 1/3-1/2 cup
- 1/2 chili pepper finely chopped I used Jalapeno
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro optional
- Add 1-2 tsp sriracha to the batter
- Add shredded cheese shreds to the batter.
- Add other veggies and finely chopped greens.
- In a bowl, mix all the Dry ingredients. Whisk well.
- Add a cup of water and whisk to combine into a smooth lump-free batter.
- Add the veggies and vinegar and mix to combine.
- Drop ladle full of the batter on a greased hot pan.
- Press and spread to even out into a fat pancake thickness.
- Cover with a lid and cook on medium heat for 6-7 minutes. Cover for at least 4 minutes and then cook without.
- You can also cook them without the lid. It will take a minute or so longer.
- Flip and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Serve hot with sauces of choice, mushroom gravy, roasted veggies and more. or make breakfast sandwiches with them.
To make lump free batter, pour water slowly in the chickpea flour and keep mixing/whisking. Or add half the water, mix then add more. Or Sieve the chickpea flour and use.
To avoid sticking, Use a thick bottom pan. When hot, sprinkle oil and spread the oil on the surface evenly using a wet napkin.
Nutritional values based on one serving