It is one of those days, when I cant think of what to write up on the post. A block of editing pictures and writing up I guess. I just want to keep cooking in the kitchen!
Oh well. Lets just get to the food. We eat a lot of cauliflower in general in any and every form. It usually gets added to many Indian side veggie stir frys – Aloo Gobi, put on a Pizza 1, 2, 3 it gets grated into Burgers and Omelettes, and now it gets roasted as a whole slice.
Saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic until golden brown. Add herbs and salt.
Add coconut milk, water and bring to a boil.
Add cornstarch and cook until thick.
Cauliflower Steaks with Mushroom Gravy. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
Gravy: Serves 2
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup (160 g) chopped onion
- 1.5 cups (144 g) chopped mushrooms
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) thyme
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) rosemary optional
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) salt
- 1/2 cup (117.5 ml) water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (113 ml) coconut milk or other non dairy milk
- 1 tsp liquid aminos or tamari optional
- Black pepper or cayenne to taste
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast or use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground mustard to make yeast-free
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tablespoon water or use other thickeners like arrowroot/potato starch or plain flour
- Cauliflower sliced 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- Olive oil salt and pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-low heat in a skillet. Add onions. mushrooms and garlic and cook partially covered for 15+ minutes or until evenly brown.
- Stir once or twice in between.
- Add the herbs and mix well. I used dried herbs for the pictures, use fresh or dried to preference.
- Add water and coconut milk, salt, pepper, cover and bring to a boil. 3-4 minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt, herbs, spice.
- Add cornstarch mixture and nutritional yeast and continue to mix until it thickens. 1 minute.
- Switch off the heat and keep aside
- Meanwhile, Brush the cauliflower on both sides with olive oil or other oil.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and dried herbs of choice.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at preheated 425 degrees F / 220ºc for 25-30 minutes or until tender in the center.
- Broil on Low for a minute for a more charred cauliflower.
- Serve hot with the gravy and a side salad.
- Top with fresh parsley/thyme and black pepper.
Add sage instead of parsley. Nutritional values based on one serving