It is one of those days, when I cant think of what to write up on the post. A block of editing pictures and writing up I guess. I just want to keep cooking in the kitchen!
Oh well. Lets just get to the food. We eat a lot of cauliflower in general in any and every form. It usually gets added to many Indian side veggie stir frys – Aloo Gobi, put on a Pizza 1, 2, 3 it gets grated into Burgers and Omelettes, and now it gets roasted as a whole slice.
Saute the onion, mushrooms and garlic until golden brown. Add herbs and salt.
Add coconut milk, water and bring to a boil.
Add cornstarch and cook until thick.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1.5 cups chopped mushrooms
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or other non dairy milk
- 1 tsp liquid aminos or tamari optional
- Black pepper or cayenne to taste
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast or use 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground mustard to make yeast-free
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tablespoon water or use other thickeners like arrowroot/potato starch or plain flour
- Cauliflower sliced 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- Olive oil salt and pepper.
Heat oil over medium-low heat in a skillet. Add onions. mushrooms and garlic and cook partially covered for 15+ minutes or until evenly brown.
Stir once or twice in between.
Add the herbs and mix well. I used dried herbs for the pictures, use fresh or dried to preference.
Add water and coconut milk, salt, pepper, cover and bring to a boil. 3-4 minutes.
Taste and adjust salt, herbs, spice.
Add cornstarch mixture and nutritional yeast and continue to mix until it thickens. 1 minute.
Switch off the heat and keep aside
Meanwhile, Brush the cauliflower on both sides with olive oil or other oil.
Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and dried herbs of choice.
Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at preheated 425 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until tender in the center.
Broil on Low for a minute for a more charred cauliflower.
Serve hot with the gravy and a side salad.
Top with fresh parsley/thyme and black pepper.
Gravy Variations: Add a few Tablespoons of white wine along with the coconut milk.
Add sage instead of parsley.
Nutritional values based on one serving