Can have too many of Mom’s recipes can we.. 🙂
Mom made Okra and onion subzi the other day. Hubbs loved it and of course Mom and Dad like it. My sister can live on Okra 5 days a week and I cannot stand more than 1 tiny piece :). Preferences. Mom has a few Bhindi recipes up her sleeve. So I stopped everyone in their tracks and took some pictures before they all finished lunch.
And did you hear? Vegan MOFO is in September this year. Thats like tomorrow.. Gaah. I wont have any time to think till mid August and then I might just explode with the stress of mofo already.
No Themes planned yet, no recipe and posts thought of.
Last year I did a Pizza theme… 20+ different Pizzas, with 20+ different crusts! and man it was nerve wracking trying to come up with the different crusts:)
Throw me some ideas will you.. What would you like to see this year in the month of september. Some fun but attainable theme ideas please:)
Below.. lunch with the Bhindi Subzi… Mung Dal, Okra, Mint Cilantro Chutney, Kachumbar Salad (Chopped onion, tomato, cilantro, salt, pepper, lemon juice), Roti flatbread.
Also, I truly apologize for not visiting blogs this past month. It has been a crazy 2 months and continuing! No end in sight yet..
How do you like your Okra?
2 more ways to make Okra, with chickpea flour and with pickling spices and More Dry Veggie sides here.
Indian Okra and Onion stir fry. Mom's Pyaaz Waali Bhindi Subzi. Vegan Glutenfree Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 cups (200 g) chopped fresh Okra chopped
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon (0.25 teaspoon) turmeric haldi
- 1 green chili finely chopped ( I use Serrano pepper)
- 3/4 teaspoon (0.75 teaspoon) salt
- red chili powder optional
- In a pan, add oil and heat on medium.
- Add green chili and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add onion, mix and cook on low-medium heat until onion starts to turn translucent. 6-8 minutes.
- Add the Okra and turmeric, mix and cook, uncovered, on low-medium heat, for 25-30 minutes.
- Stir twice in between.
- Once Okra is cooked to preference, add salt and mix well. Take off heat.
- Add chili powder if you like and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds or fennel seeds with the green chili.
Add 1/4 teaspoon amchur/dry mango powder or black salt at the end and mix well.
Add some garam masala to taste at the end. Nutritional values based on one serving