Can have too many of Mom’s recipes can we.. 🙂
Mom made Okra and onion subzi the other day. Hubbs loved it and of course Mom and Dad like it. My sister can live on Okra 5 days a week and I cannot stand more than 1 tiny piece :). Preferences. Mom has a few Bhindi recipes up her sleeve. So I stopped everyone in their tracks and took some pictures before they all finished lunch.
And did you hear? Vegan MOFO is in September this year. Thats like tomorrow.. Gaah. I wont have any time to think till mid August and then I might just explode with the stress of mofo already.
No Themes planned yet, no recipe and posts thought of.
Last year I did a Pizza theme… 20+ different Pizzas, with 20+ different crusts! and man it was nerve wracking trying to come up with the different crusts:)
Throw me some ideas will you.. What would you like to see this year in the month of september. Some fun but attainable theme ideas please:)
Below.. lunch with the Bhindi Subzi… Mung Dal, Okra, Mint Cilantro Chutney, Kachumbar Salad (Chopped onion, tomato, cilantro, salt, pepper, lemon juice), Roti flatbread.
Also, I truly apologize for not visiting blogs this past month. It has been a crazy 2 months and continuing! No end in sight yet..
How do you like your Okra?
2 more ways to make Okra, with chickpea flour and with pickling spices and More Dry Veggie sides here.
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 2 cups chopped fresh Okra chopped
- 1 medium onion finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric haldi
- 1 green chili finely chopped ( I use Serrano pepper)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- red chili powder optional
- In a pan, add oil and heat on medium.
- Add green chili and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add onion, mix and cook on low-medium heat until onion starts to turn translucent. 6-8 minutes.
- Add the Okra and turmeric, mix and cook, uncovered, on low-medium heat, for 25-30 minutes.
- Stir twice in between.
- Once Okra is cooked to preference, add salt and mix well. Take off heat.
- Add chili powder if you like and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Notes: Cook Okra uncovered and without salt for no stickyness.
Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds or fennel seeds with the green chili.
Add 1/4 teaspoon amchur/dry mango powder or black salt at the end and mix well.
Add some garam masala to taste at the end.
Nutritional values based on one serving